When did our country become so full of hate?

I read the article about Constance McMillen getting a settlement from the school district after they cancelled the prom rather then let her wear a tux and bring her girlfriend. It's not like she sued McDonald's and was awarded a million dollars because their coffee was hot. She was given a $35,000 settlement and she has been shunned in her town. It was a high price to pay for standing up for what's right but she paid. No money can ever fix that. I don't envy her life and the hate that's being thrown at her right now.

I am ashamed of those people who think they are better than her. God never gave us the right to judge. That's His job. He can do it without our help. Constance McMillen is in my prayers. I hope that she can get past all the hate and live her life. God bless her for doing what's right!

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 7:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sadly...Hate is not a new trend. There has been hatred in our world since the beginning of time.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:43 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Rules are rules. It's no different from any other rules concerning the prom. I think it's ridiculous that they actually awarded her money for this. & why cancel prom just because one person wants to make a statement., one which the majority didn't agree with. This kind of thing is really pathetic. She should have been tossed out, on the basis of her breaking the rule, case closed.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Hate has been around since the beginning of time and the settling of our country.
    But--suing and getting a lot of attention is a fairly new phenomenon and I'm not sure that I like it. There are better,more honest ways to deal with prejudice against gays. She used this for all it was worth and it paid off in DOLLARS, not respect,IMO.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• February to April is three months sweety--not years. Perhaps a trip back to school will help you learn simple things like months, years and such.
    _____
    She KNEW when she was SOPHOMORE that OTHER GAY students were DENIED SS dates to prom! Sophomore to Senior is 3 YEARS. Maybe you should pay attention.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• "A Feb. 5 memo to students laid out the criteria for bringing a date to the prom." Thats when she started her drama, she stated she knew WAY (years) before that memo that other Gay students were denied same sex dates. The ACLU said "McMillen approached school officials shortly before the memo went out because she knew same-sex dates had been banned in the past." SHE KNEW the END. She had PLENTY of time to petition it. She waited 2months before prom! Why? She is an attention whore!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 12:01 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• being shunned by pinheads is a badge of honor, she should wear it with pride.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:23 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• support! Pictures, Images and Photos
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• As long as there has been power, there has been hate.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• She was just a brat seeking attention. She knew and admitted to knowing that same sex couples were not allowed way before prom. Yet she waited till right before prom to raise hell? Yeah makes a ton of sense! Please, she could have easily started the process to have the rules changed way before prom. But instead she waited got her face on tv and ruined prom for everyone. So she got what she wanted... a prom where she could wear her tux, and have her GF it's not anyone's fault that only 7 other kids showed up. The other students were pissed she ruined prom so they held a party away from the school, all they wanted was what a prom is supposed to be FUN, not a media fiasco. But now its over she has her pretty penny, her face on tv, and next prolly a reality show on MTV an attention whore's dream.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If I were her I would sure sacrifice a prom for the money.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2010