For those that Home school what program do you use and how do you like it?

I would like to home school or virtual school my 13 year old and 4 year old but with so many choices I am having a hard time narrowing it down. What do you use ?What are the pros and cons ?

sew4fun

Asked by sew4fun at 7:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in

• We use a bit of this and a bit of that. I'm basically piecing things together, because it's "cheaper" then going with a 'box curriculum'. Most of my material is borrowed from our local library system.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We'll be starting our 11th year of home schooling. I started out by piecing my own together because that fit the child I was teaching. As my younger 3 started schooling I began using a boxed curriculum, first Alpha Omega then Abeka because it's less work and confusion for me when teaching multiple grade levels. This year we started Abeka's DVD program, not because I'm not capable of teaching the subject matter, but because the kids need more instructional time and I cannot be 3 people to teach 3 different grade levels at the same time. I will still be very involved with their schooling, but I will not need to be the total instruction they receive. Our kids are 8th, 7th, and 5th grade, and I hope to continue the DVD program until they graduate. At that point they will receive a diploma and transcript from Abeka Academy, an accredited distance learning program.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We use a variety of things. We use www.Time4Learning.com, Growing with Grammar,Soaring with Spelling, unit studies from Beyond Five in a Row and www.homeschoolshare.com.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• a huge array of resources, few textbooks. we're eclectic, a blend of classical and unschooling, among others.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:07 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• we use our "own" home school stuff... i make it up as we go!
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2010