What dicipline do you use for an unruley 3 year old?

PLEASE NO BASHING of anyone that answers! I would like to know what dicipline you use and how it works for you. I have a 3 almost 4 year old that is one Sassy girl! she is bossy, at times mildly violent, and throws monster temper tantrums. I need ideas on what to do here .

sew4fun

Asked by sew4fun at 7:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• google 1-2-3 magic it works wonders it saves you your sanity and makes them accountable for their behavior and whether or not they get punished !!
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would sit her in time out. If this does not work take something away that she really likes. The next day, when she asks you where her toy is that you took away she has to earn it back. I would keep doing the same routine, this is what I do. Good Luck!! "HUGS"
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• sounds like a typical 3 year old to me-have you tried time outs? not just a few times, but consistently? taking away toys?
    please don't do the whole 'hot saucing' business that has become so popular. Just because it gets a kid ' under control' doesn't make it humane or safe.
    I don't care how many Hollywood people do it. I've got a niece that now has a scratchy voice and I believe that had something to do with it!
    Anonymous

• If you think she is old enough you could also do a program with her. One my mom used when my siblings and I were real young was a smiley face chart like the one talked about here: http://kids.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Kids'_Behavior_Charts">http://kids.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Kids'_Behavior_Charts. It was a piece of paper with 3smiley faces. Everytime we did something "bad" we got one crossed out. At the end of the day we got a small piece of candy for each face we had left, or at the end of the week got to pick something out of a treasure box if we had a certain number of smiley faces by then (like if we had never had more than 1 crossed out a day). Good luck!!!
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Find your child's "currency", that thing or activity which is most important to her, and withhold that as punishment.
    Time out can be effective too. Make the length of time appropriate for her age and be consistent. Do not talk to her if you have to take her back to the time out spot. People give up on time out because the child has to be returned to the spot. It can take a long time before she stays there. Whatever method you pick do it every time and stay consistent and stay calm. Make sure she also is getting enough one on one time with you and hubby. That she is getting praise for the things she does right. And lots of hugs and kisses.
    Anonymous

• Oh my! My daughter is two, and a timeout works. Usually though, when we tell her she can come out she doesn't want to lol. We only keep her in time out until she can sit and listen to what we calmly explain to her.
    1. Sit her in the corner
    2. Let her scream/cry it out
    3. Wait until she is calm
    4. Calmly explain to her why she was put there, and that she needs to listen to mommy and daddy because we love her.
    5. She comes out, and we give her hugs and tell her thank you for being a big girl and we love her.
    6. She 99% of the time says she's sorry on her own (it's cute but not required, shes only 2 lol)
    7. Happy toddler, happy parents, she usually asks us to come "sit down and play blocks? Pleease?"
    :]
    SimplyMadness

Answer by SimplyMadness at 7:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• OMG YES!! don't do hot sauce. Or lemons. My dad did that to me. Except it was chewing up a pepper, not hotsauce.
    SimplyMadness

Answer by SimplyMadness at 7:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Time out chair!! The only thing is you have to keep putting him back in the chair with a four or five word statement from you as to why he is there. If you go over four or five words they won't get it . You have to keep putting him back in the chair every time he gets out. And every time you put him back repeat why he is in there. This could take hours before you brake him into staying. I leave my kids in it for five minutes after they stay. This may be a lot of work on your part but once they understand time out after the breaking them in it they will go to time out wherever you are at even in the grocery store! I have 5 kids and this was the best punishment advise given to me by a counselor and it worked for me!
    michelle146

Answer by michelle146 at 7:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• naughty spot
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Consistency!!! That's the most important thing! And never allow her sassy-ness or temper tantrums to be rewarded.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010