Has any one else had BACK LABOR??

So I went to my 36 weeks app today and Doctor said I was 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced. She said most likely he will come in the next 2 weeks with amount of contractions I have been having. She also said with the way the baby has turned posterior that I should expect to have back labor unless he turns. What?? Has any one else experienced back labor? It sounds like it hurts like a hummer!!!!

michelle146

Asked by michelle146 at 7:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• it does. it hurts a lot. i had it with my dd, also my first. i cant compare it to regular labor since i only had back labor but it hurt like the dickens and i recomend the epi! my doc told me i have a tilted uterus so i'll probably have it again, joy.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My 7 hours of unmedicated labor was ALL back labor. I never thought there was such a thing until I had it. It hurt like heck. All these people always talking about your stomach tightening and waves wrapping around...LOL Mine was ONLY in my back and felt like diarrhea cramps only 1000 times worse. But, I did it unmedicated, so, it came be overcome.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i had back labor with my dd and it was way different then with my 4 month old son, who i had just regular labor with. i hate to tell you this, but the back labor was way worse. but i got through it with an epidural and was only in labor 71/2 hours. just hang in there and remember it only lasts so long before you get your precious baby! good luck!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I had back labor it was not so bad towards the delivery I was grateful for the epi.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes I had back labor with my last two babies... and it hurts so much more... If you have back labor I wouldn't think twice about asking for an epidural.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 7:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I had back labor with my last baby. I'm not for sure what caused it though, she was in a good position. I think two things really helped with the management of the intensity, one was I had a water birth and the water was amazing, two was my husband using counter pressure during contractions.

You still have time to get baby into a better position. Being on your hands and knees and swaying your tailbone back and forth helps. Being in water helps baby move more freely so if you have a chance to go swimming it may help as well. Try spinningbabies.com it's a site dedicated to natural ways of turning baby.

If you do end up with back labor it is manageable, even without the epi. Breathe and relax, tension will only make it more painful.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 1:08 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I had back labor with my son because he had his head turned to the side instead of looking down. I had an epidural that took worked very well but it can not get rid of the pressure you feel. The pressure with back labor was terrible! I made it though. I knew labor was going to hurt going into it lol!
    skycamsmom

Answer by skycamsmom at 9:01 AM on Jul. 21, 2010