is it rude to ask people to wear a robe, wash there hands and not kiss or touch the babys face?

is it rude to ask people to wear a robe, wash there hands and not kiss or touch the babys face?this is my 2nd baby due in sept. and my first son was very sensitive to 3rd hand smoke. and my I.L. are come up this time when i have the baby and they are heavy smoker,this why i ask, thou i plan to ask every one not to single them out. i am not a smoker and my hubby quite after are first son. so im not sure how well this will go over. thak you all

ryderslilbro

Asked by ryderslilbro at 7:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think anything you and the baby's daddy ask of others, who will be around or holding your children is rude. People should just understand and respect the way we mama's feel.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 7:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Not sure what wearing a robe has to do with anything, but no it's not rude to ask people to wash up and not kiss baby's face.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It's your baby. I had a friend who asked people to put a blanket between the baby and themselves and to wash their hands before picking up the baby. I didn't think it was rude. If they want to hold the baby they will do as you ask for the sake of the baby's health.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 7:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I dont think it is rude
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 7:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Is this at home or in the hospital? I can see in the hospital wearing a robe...but at home is really quite overboard. I agree with the washing of hands and not touching the babies face, either place..home or hospital.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 7:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Well, you have good reason to ask..your first child had a bad reaction. With that explanation..no I wouldnt find it rude at all.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Nope not rude at all! It is your baby, and if they want to be around him and hold him, they have to follow your rules! Good for you!
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• To wear a robe? Seriously? What benefit do you think that will give? If there are contaminants on a person's clothing, then the contaminants will simply transfer to the robe ... and to the next wearer ... and the next ... and the next ...
    Besides, a robe isn't going to be an effective barrier against anything communicable.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I don't think it's rude.
    For those who don't seem to understand the point of the robe, it's so the baby wont be exposed to the second hand smoke from their clothing. The robe is a buffer, something clean and untainted on the outside so the baby will be safer.

It's your baby, you want to protect him/her. You have every right to ask that people wash their hands, wear something that isn't tainted from smoking and to not spread their germs onto your newborn.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 8:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Wearing a robe seems a little much...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2010