Baby and the pool?

my ds is 4 months old and our appartments have a swimming pool. i haven't been going, my dh takes my dd and it kinda sucks that i have to miss out, but there's no shade and i'm sketch about taking my ds in the pool with us. how old do you think a baby should be before being exposed to the chlorine and sun? i think he should be a lot older...your thoughts?

nickellmomof2

Asked by nickellmomof2 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We're in Hawaii, they go in the water from a couple months old. It depends a lot on water temperature for me. Before six months or so, they don't have a great ability to regulate their body temerature so you have to keep an eye on it. My kids are lathered up with sunblock, wear big floppy hats and float in the shaded floaties. Even at 4 months (or I have them in a water sling when they're really young). We don't stay out for long, and never during peak hours (10-2 or so).
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 10:08 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• For a public pool I would wait till they were probably around a year old. Younger if your at a home pool.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 7:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I didn't take mine in til they were 6 months or a year old (oldest was born in Jan, we took her in the pool in Aug, other 3 were born in Mar/May/June and they didn't go in til the next year, so almost a year old).
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 8:53 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't take him to the pool yet. He's too young for the chlorine. When you are ready to put him into the sun use California Baby sunblock, no nasty chemicals!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If it were me..I wouldnt think twice about it..I'd do it..its been so HOT!! lol
    They have those little floats for babies..you put their legs through the bottom (its like a tiny little boat) and they have the shade part over the top of it so the sun doesnt go directly onto the baby. So he'd only be getting his legs wet..and no direct sunlight...and everyone gets to join in on the family fun :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2010