What's the best way to keep dust and pollen out of the house?

I know the dust thing is impossible, but is there any way to keep it semi under control. I have a 16 year old with very bad asthma and allergies to just about everything. I have to dust and vacuum every day and make sure there's nothing he's allergic to in the house, but it seems like every time I turn around there's already dust where I just cleaned. I just need some advice on how to keep dust to a minimum because I'm about to put my son in bubble..

nyraerikson

Asked by nyraerikson at 7:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Home & Garden

• some kind of air filter system. a good one.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:59 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Fltrete(sp) filters. If you're serious all carpets must go, All cutains, stuffed animals throw pillows. They all trap dust and allergens. The best thing we ever did was pull out the carpet and put laminate wood down/. My grandson hasn't had but ONE attack in a year since we made that change.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:04 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Wash the bed sheets at least 1 time a week in hot water. During peek season, I at least change my kids pillow cases every night or so. Have your child wash their hair at night. Allergens will sit in their hair and then when they go to bed it gets on their pillow and they rub their face in it all night. This dramatically changed my kids symptoms. Then keep windows closed and use A/C instead. Do not open your car windows while driving. No smoking around the you child. Coffee and tea is supposed to help during an attack. I also use safer cleaning products that are really easy on their symptoms...so easy you don't have to air out the house after cleaning. Get rid of rugs, curtains, stuffed animals..or wash them often. Have you looked into food allergies? I found some books at the library that explained a lot and offered some great alternatives to ingredients used. I hope your teen feels better.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 8:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Use a vacuum with a hepa filter and do not wear shoes in the house. Also make sure everyone especially the child showers every day & moisturizes & after working or playing a lot outside.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• What everyone else said. Get a big air purifier for the family room and a smaller one for his room. Get rid of the carpet in his bedroom, no stuffed animals or curtains. Vacuum with a hepa filter. There are special pillow cases that you can put on his pillow, I think they make them for mattresses too.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If you have asthma - you need to take a look at the cleaning products that I have been using for 3 years - we have eliminated most allergies - including my husband's asthma - many of the store and national brand cleaners contain toxins and stuff that actually can trigger allergies - including asthma. I love Sol-U-Mel - it actually kills dust mites! I spray it on my furniture, carpet, kids' stuffed animals. our matresses, silk plants...you get the idea :-) Please take a look at www.SaferForYourHome.com - I have recommended these products to many people and all have been as pleased and impressed as I am.
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 22, 2010