School thinks my son is "abnormal" need advice from parents with children that have a mental disorder..

9yr old boy-
this is what he scored higher then usuall on- Atypicality, withdrawal, school problems, attention problems,- a littel over the 50 percent on depression and learning problems.
He has normal speech,good eye contact, gets decent grades (help w writing), does seem to not "comform" to most kids behaviour is age, and "spaces out" a lot according to the teachers. We have noticed that he seems to have a memory probem.Noticed it around age6. Says he gets bored easy, but is not hyper. If anyone has aclue what these results could mean please inform me. The school said basically to see a psychiatrist. Hes not "normal" like his classmates.Does not bully, does get teased occ he said, and has a couple of friends at school and home.

lovmyhubby

Asked by lovmyhubby at 8:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would highly suggest you talk to your doctor and tell him what the school said and bring the papers from where he was tested. If the doctor thinks there is something that needs to be checked into further then he will help set up the appointments. I would defiently make sure you get a few other opinions about this. Good Luck!
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• schools often like to classify a child who doesnt fit thier mold as being abnormal, must do something must medicate the issue away . I woudl suggest you have your child evaluated by at least 2 if not 3 differeent childhood specialists. see what they all have to say about it. it might just be that the school is being LAZY
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• "memory" issues and spacing out, getting bored all sound a lot like Attention Deficit without hyper activity. What you just wrote could have been my grandson. He was just diagnosed in May. Feingold Diet seems to be helping a lot. We are medicating because he just couldn't focus on any behavior modification without it. He is doing much better now.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It might just mean he is immature and needs more time and more teaching at home. There's no rush, each child gets school-ready at a different rate. Memory "problems" can improve by playing memory games at home, social behaviors can improve with practice, and by definition, children have attention problems. Yes, his may be more than other children's, but I think it's a mistake how quickly many people hurry to "diagnose".
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Maybe he is actually really mature and intelligent and completely bored out of his mind. I sounded like him. I went to kindergarten already reading at a high level and knew so much more than the other kids. I sat and spaced out in class. I was so bored and couldn't relate to the other kids. No one cared about my though. Just let me fall behind because I didn't care. All the kids in my K class were learning "A" and I was telling the teacher she misspelled Macaroni and having her tell me I was wrong and to hush. Turns out, I was correct.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:12 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My son had many of these same symptoms in elementary school. The school wanted a diagnosis because they wanted him on meds. Instead, we worked with him alot. We taught him organization skills and helped him learn to focus. We worked with him on memory and encouraged him to try harder on his writing and math skills. Bored was his excuse for not wanting to do what he was told - so he was taught that intelligent people can always find something new to learn, some way to benefit and made it a nightly discussion so that he became challenged to learn in creative ways. He'll be a senior in the fall, he's an honor roll student, has many friends, and plays on the school soccer team. A lot of it has to do with recognizing where the weak points are and instead of "accommodating" the weak points, helping the weak areas to become stronger. You can do it! Good luck!
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 8:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• help w/writing... Does he also need help with reading? Or is it just his writing? Have you consider that perhaps dyslexia (troubles reading) or dysgraphia (troubles writing) might be an issue? I've been reading up on dyslexia and dyspraphia for my own children. Spacing out and memory sometimes can be, at times, a sign of dyslexia/dysgraphia. I just thought it was interesting that you mention good grades (help w/ writing). I wouldn't want you to dismiss that, seeing it could be a key!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• The memory with handwriting issue jumped out at me. My son has several learning disabilities - visual processing being one of them. Check out this website: 

http://www.ldonline.org/ldbasics

Maybe it will help you get some answers.  It helped me a lot. 

mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 8:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would see a developmental pediatrician and possibly a neurologist. "Spacing out" can be seizures. It will not hurt anything by having him checked out. I don't think you should feel offended by him being "abnormal". They are just bringing this to your attention so he can get help if he needs it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010