How do you litter train a kitten?

I've had multiple kittens over the years and this is the first one I'm having trouble litter training. All I've ever had to do in the past was put the kitten in the litter box and if I find little accidents in the house we clean it up and put it in the litter box and they were always trained within a week. Why won't this kitten use the litter box? She just turned 4 months old the other day. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Juggalette0327

Asked by Juggalette0327 at 8:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Pets

• I've had some very picky cats about the actual style of litter box. Maybe that's her problem, that she doesn't like the one you have. Maybe it's too high for her or if it's the enclosed type, try removing the lid
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We noticed that our cat did not like the scented cat litter and did best in regular tan litter. Don't know which one you are using. Just one idea...........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Has she been to the vet? Kittens are usually very simple to train to the litter box. It makes me wonder if there is a medical issue going on.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:11 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• PS...lol, the other posters are absolutely right. I had forgotten when clumping litter first came out we tried it. My cat flipped out. He wanted NO part of it. So we had to go back to just regular kitty litter. Type of box and litter may be the issue.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Could be she doesn't like the litter or the litter box you are using.
    Or, I know sometimes if a cat/kitten has a UTI, they will use the bathroom where ever they are at that moment.

All of my cats were easy to litter train, the new problem is they are jealous of my daughter so they are peeing on the dirty clothes .. GRR. Good Luck.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 8:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Ok this just proves how stupid I am. I wasn't even thinking about the size of the litter box. I have a funny feeling that this is probably it. She is a dwarf cat so even at 4 months old she looks like she is about 8 weeks old and we have a little box that is deep. I'll getting her a smaller litter box and see if that helps. She has recently been to the vet and got a clean bill of health so I don't think it's a UTI. Thanks everybody I really appreciate it.
    Juggalette0327

Comment by Juggalette0327 (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010