Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

substitute teaching?

what qualifications/certifications must you have to be a substitute teacher? I'm interested in being a substitute for elementary school art classes....etc. have a BA in communications and although it was years ago, I was a class aide for my mom who is a pre-k teacher

Answer Question

Asked by Owl_Feather at 8:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 22 (13,272 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • Where I used to live...nothing really. I only have a high school diploma and some college and had no other expirience and I was a sub in all areas and classes.. Some require a teaching certificate, in other words, a teacher looking for a job but doesn't have one yet.

    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • and to find the job, like any other job (newspaper ads, craigslist...)? or contact the school(s) i'm interested in working for?

    Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • Call the hiring office for your town's/county 's schools and ask. It might vary from area to area. I substitute taught for awhile in MA. I am a college grad but not a certified teacher.

    Answer by elizabr at 8:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • Call the school admin office or the school board office.

    Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • It depends on your district. Mine only requires a GED or high school diploma. Use to all you had to do was sign up for the class, do a background check, and once they completed your background check then you were entered into the system to sub. Now, you have to actually apply to take the sub class. Also, only substitute teachers who are certified are able to teacher for the same teacher for 10+ days in a row. I would call your local school district and inquire with them about the requirements. Good Luck!


    Answer by JeremysMom at 8:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • AND.........Usually you register to be a substitute with the school department you want to work for. I have never seen an opening in the paper.

    Answer by elizabr at 8:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • Ky it is a bachelors degree

    Answer by jagrus at 10:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

  • In my area you can not choose the class you want to sub for. To tell you the truth in my area they have no qualifications. Really if they are desperate they would take any one.

    Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • In Chicago, a substitute teacher needs the same qualifications as a full time teacher.

    Answer by rkoloms at 10:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

  • In my area you need a high school diploma, 12 hrs. sub. training and a background check.

    Answer by marlarrie at 8:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.