Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daugher who has auditory processing disorder and is 4 just started public preschool. I dislike her teacher, she is very condescending. Should I wait it out or switch.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Answers (7)
  • SWITH asap. The rude teach can cause your daughter to shut down and feel less of herself...

    Get her out asap, and into a class that is loving!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

  • Switch. Both you and your daughter should be comfortable with her teacher and it sounds like this woman should not be working with children.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

  • A.P.D. Please explain. Does this mean that she learns better when taught visually and/or hands-on? If this is the case, my son has the same thing. His teacher would NOT help him until I had him tested (free through the school) and we got an IEP (individual education plan) in place. I don't know if this is possible for preschool though. The teacher was not nice to me and wouldn't recognize he had a learning disability until it was in writing. We waited out the rest of that school year- we were 3/4 done already. The following year with a new teacher and and IEP in place from day 1 made all the difference and he's been successful ever since. He now gets the help he needs. It's early enough in the school year that maybe you can switch teachers. I would recommend having a meeting with the teachers, principal and special-ed rep before making any changes.

    Answer by OldrWizrMom at 10:13 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

  • Switch! I had issues with one of my son's teachers and didn't switch...he's not in her grade anymore but I still regret it. I would switch.

    Answer by raybell at 12:46 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

  • It's not always easy to switch. Talk to the teacher if you haven't already and try and work things out, if that's not working out then talk to the principal. Also if she has secondary/Special Ed teachers talk to them and see what you can work out.

    Answer by JoysMom at 1:18 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

  • I say switch teachers because any teacher that treats a child like that should'nt be a teacher. find a teacher that is going to take the time that's needed and has a heart.

    Answer by christina200107 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

  • Switch, and if you have an IEP in place, take him out of school until placement can be reach, hold an IEP meeting to discuss what kind of environment you expect him to be in.

    Answer by vsrillo at 4:11 PM on Oct. 2, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.