What do you think about homeschooling?

well,i came with the idea because one of my closest friend had called a teacher to homeshool her daughter that is 7 every days since 10 am to 3:00 pm or other days from 3:00pm to 8:00pm WHAT DO YO THINK
please bump this!

BlueballandKids

Asked by BlueballandKids at 8:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in

• I think that homeschooling is great. I would do it if I could.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't choose to home school my child. I have my reasons.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Personally, I'm not a fan of Homeschooling. But I like the idea of a teacher and 7 days... I think though that without being at school the kids miss out on the diversity that comes with being in with everyone else. Even if home schooled kids are in groups or sports or something they aren't being exposed to kids or people who they have NOTHING in common with and learning how to get along anyways... And I think that is a HUGE part of life...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• its not for every family and every child. but for those who blossom with being in homeschooling i think it rocks. homeschooling families ahve thier own like clubs in most areas to do socializing get together for the kids
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• what are the reasons?
    BlueballandKids

Comment by BlueballandKids (original poster) at 8:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Generally speaking, I am not a fan. I do believe that there are rare instances where the parent is qualified and capable of providing what is needed and the child can greatly benefit from this situation. I believe that these instances are the exception, not the rule.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I don't fully understand your explanation but I have homeschooled my children because our school district is lacking. I have threatened for years to do it for my bipolar guy and I finally did last year when we were changing meds. He then went back for about 2 months but then bullying happened and when my son was going to be disciplined for fighting back - after telling the kid several times "I do not want to fight with you" (BTW this was recorded on a video phone) I pulled both kids out. It is time to figure out where we are going to go to school next month and I am conflicted. We do not want to homeschool, the kids want to go to traditional school but our town only has 1 school so we either have to move (and rent our house at a loss) or transport over 45 miles to next available town.

mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 8:41 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Homeschooling is good if done properly. I think that there needs to be stricter guidelines. This will protect the parents who ARE doing what they are suppose to do and weed out the parents who aren't doing what needs to be done. I also think that there should be a class that a parent can take to learn about the laws and what exactly they are suppose to do. For example, in my area, anyone can sign up to home-school if they come by and fill out a paper. They do have to submit attendance every so often, but the district does not tell them that their child has to come in and take the CRCT, until it is too late.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:45 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I homeschool my kids and it is working out GREAT for us!! They learn at their own pace and believe me, they have plenty of "socialization", whatever that means. We've been working a little bit throughout the summer so that they don't forget what they've learned and my youngest son is learning his multiplication tables. We use a combination of textbooks, online curriculum, unit studies and hands on projects. PM me if you want to know more.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:48 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I don't have a teaching degree, therefore I don't trust that I could give our children the education they deserve.... I feel I'm very intelligent, but I lack the skills that it would take to teach them in the proper way. I don't care what others do, I only do what I feel is best for our boys.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2010