I am 48 and want more kids

Would it be unfair for me to adopt a child at this age?? Unfair to the child?

LadyJewel0919

Asked by LadyJewel0919 at 9:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Adoption

• No, I don't think it would be unfair. There are so many children in need of good loving families.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:06 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Well I'd say it is but that is just my opinion. The older you are the more risks there are.
    mollgirl

Answer by mollgirl at 9:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• no. i would never tell you your age makes you 'unfit' to mother another child. every child deserves to be loved and raised by people who are willing and desiring of doing so. in fact, i'd go as far as to say you have more 'life' to give, than a younger person does. you've seen more, lived more, done more, and learned more. but most important, you want to give a child a chance at having a family. there is no better reason!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:09 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I can tell you that this would be entirely your call. I am in my 40's and know that I would never want this at my age. I am not emotionally or physically able to care for a child. I can barely keep up with the grandkids.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• what risks? longevity isn't a guarantee to any mother/father.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• mother away~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 9:10 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Tough. When I consider this, I think how tired I'd be if I had an infant. That said, if you're in good health and financially stable, go for it!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Id say adopt an older child rather than a baby at that age.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think it really depends on you and what you want as well as your health. I know an older couple who adopted in their late 40's and will be seeing their child graduate from high school this year. I also know another couple who adopted in their late 40's and he passed away at the age of 51. As some one previously said, our health is not guaranteed at any age. Have you considered adopting an older child?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Same boat here I'm 46 and both Hubs and myself are fixed so our own is out of the question but I miss that young time of a childs life where I can impact them forever. Our last 2 at home are older tweens I'm sure they would appreciate me having someone other than them to mother LOL

If you can adopt then please do!!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 9:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010