What age do you feel is the "right" age to get a kid a cell phone?

Just wondering b/c I saw a kid in the verizon store the other day who was approximatly 6-8 years old....he was rolling around on the floor behind his parents who were buying him a cell phone.

I overheard them telling the salesman, "all his friends have one, and he is spending the night at friends houses more lately"

HE WAS ROLLING AROUND ON THE FLOOR behind them, I think that was a huge red flag that the kid was a kid and not ready for a phone...

What do you think? What age would you buy a phone for a kid?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 9:13 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• The minute he is going to be away from you at any point. Like spending the night with friends. And then it should be a prepaid no frills phone, only have mobile to mobile. Even a small child can understand a phone and how and when to use it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• When they begin driving, so that they are always able to contact help if it is needed. An unnecessary luxury prior to that.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My daughter is ten and she has had a cell phone for about two years now.The phone she has is a tracfone...its a pay as you go service...it cost twenty dollars for sixty minutes and three months of service.She knows to only use it to keep in touch when she is away from home or emergencies.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 9:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I don't think it's about age as much as their maturity level. Either way I think 6-8 is definitely too young. But then again, in this day and age with all the wack-o's out there maybe every person should have one.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 9:15 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Not until High School. Children younger than that should never be without at least indirect adult supervision.

Too many kids get too many things too early.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 9:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• POSSIBLY high school but it will be a very basic phone like a disney phone. 5 preset numbers no texting and GPS inside it
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• When they show the maturity and responsibility of being able to take care of it and use it correctly. Kyra is old for her age. If we could afford it, I would get her one at around 7 or 8. She will be taking part in sports and spends a lot of time with the grandparents. I would prefer for her to have her own way to contact me rather than rely on someone else's phone. But if she's rolling on the floor acting like a 2 year old fool, she's not big enough! :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I didn't get a cell phone until I was 23. I cannot imagine the need for that age group. Shall we give him a car too, just because his friends all have one?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I'm a single parent. The second my daughter starts going to school, she is getting a phone. I might be late at work some days, or have errands to run. She needs to be able to get ahold of me and I need to for her
    JacyB

Answer by JacyB at 9:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think they should have one if they are able to work and buy it theirself. Too much is done for kids. They need to learn responsibility.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 9:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010