Does anyone else feel that so much technological advancement may be negative in some ways?

Does anyone else feel like it's changing our society for the worse in some ways, even though it may be convenient? I know there are definitely positives to it as well, but I can't help but notice how it also causes a lot of problems.

As an example...I think it highly promotes laziness.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 9:14 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you all.

It seems modern conveniences and technology has touched nearly every aspect of our lives. From pollution to water shortage to health issues and diseases. I see how we in the west are using and abusing many of our resources and have begun looking elsewhere for other resources. It is unfair to others who have protected their resources and utilized them in a gentle way. It seems that nothing short of a drastic change would make a dent in the problem enough to stop any further damage. It seems that the world would crash if we stopped doing all of the things that are killing us and keeping us from knowing how to truly survive if we had to. Sometimes I think that's what it would take. A big crashing halt. It's all distressing when you really think about it. Our lives today...it's just not natural.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Yes, as I chat with you on the internet, lol. I do think it contributes to a decline in face to face social interaction, manners and proper speech.

Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 9:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Funny you ask. My husband and I both go back and forth. My argument is the internet and accessibility to things like child porn, slavery and other offensive stuff is "normalizing" what would at one time be considered terrible. On the other hand, texting, phones with cameras etc, help keep our growing population in contact and this is useful in emergency situations. That said, I rarely use my cell. I don't know....
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• absolutely. i think our systems are a lot more fragile than people like to think. if one thing goes wrong it messes up a lot about our economy.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It's not better or worse, it's just different. On the one hand, yes, it may be easier to get child porn, for example. On the other hand, when a child is abducted, their picture is tweeted, fb'd, texted, emailed and delivered to the tv within hours. The people seeking child porn would still be seeking it like they did 100 years ago. Kids would still go missing. I'll take a better chance at finding the missing kid over inconveniencing a perv who'd still be a perv without technology, someone else might see sacrifice the good of one over the good of many.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My answer there got really mangled up! to continue.....
    We have to consider the trade-off of what we LOSE to gain those benefits. For instance, I still remember how to use a card catalog, and a set of encyclopedias, both of which used to be found at the local libraries! Without the internet, I can still find the information that is out there, but it would take me a lot longer, and I would have to work a lot harder to get that information. My kids on the other hand would be lost. Some of these skills that were so necessary when I was growing up are now obsolete. Things like pay phones are practically non-existent, but not everyone has a cell phone. I grew up just fine without one, and now it is almost child abuse to not get one for your child! Crazy! But, I do agree with the OP, there is as much negative as there is positive with all the technology we have today. We are losing skills that we may need again one day.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• In some ways, yes. For example, the satelites in orbit around the Earth. There are so many dead and unused satelites with nowhere to go that they just keep orbiting Earth. If you watch the movie Wall-E, there is a scene where the spaceship carrying Eve leaves Earth and crashes through a ring of satelites. It is very much like what our Earth looks like right now.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 9:22 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Most definitely. I believe there will be a day we were gonna wish we remembered how to function without all the high-tech stuff.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 9:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Agree with all so far. I'd like to add that it has made most people in developed countries helpless and useless if they lose access to the technology. For instance, how many people do you know who go slightly nuts if the power is off for a week or even an hour? During any natural disaster, how many rely on shelters and federal aid because they themselves either couldn't or wouldn't prepare for it?

The skills that allowed humans to thrive before technology are being lost. Only a few have hands on skills, and not many more would even know how to look for the info.

The sad thing is that all the 'free' time that supposedly has been gained doesn't make most people happy. Instead of enjoying time with families or relaxing, most people frantically work to buy more gadgets to stuff in the closet and stress about money. The ideal behind developing the technology seems to have been lost along with the life skills.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think it hurts in some ways. Kids don't need to know how to spell or count, it is all done for them. I also think there are allot of kids addicted to the computer and video games. The texting also drives me nuts. Kids need to read, use their imaginations and get out and play. OOPs I almost forgot to hit the spell check lol.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010