I want be a stay/work at home mom...im a single mom of 1

Im too afraid to quit my job. Right now I work fulltime and attend college fulltime. I want to be at home with my son. My classes are online. I don't know how to start working from home. any advice or suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't quit the job till you have a solid way of making money to cover your expenses. I think it depends on your skills and what you do. Some people are internet people placing ads for google, others do transcription. Whatever works I guess. Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Its not unheard of and it can be done. But like pp said..I wouldnt quit your steady job until you have everything in order with making an income from home. Decide how you want to make money from home. Make a plan. Put the plan in place and go from there. Good Luck! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I used to know of some very good groups right here on CafeMom that can give you advice. I'm not in them now because I decided not to do it but you can search groups and they had links to sites which were work at home jobs, like answering the phone and using your computer at home.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It might be a good idea to explore the option of Mary Kay. I recently started mainly for extra money, because I love the products, and for friends, because you meet a lot of people. Anyway, lots and lots of women from all different walks of life earn a living through their work. Some of the perks are a 50% commission and the ability to advance at your own rate. Many women who are the sole supporters of their families simply devote only a few hours a week until they start replacing their current income. :)

squish

Answer by squish at 10:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You can't quit your job until your at-home job is earning enough for you to be able to afford medical insurance, pay your mortgage, etc.
    Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely?
    You can search for jobs that match you skill set and have a telecommute option.
    If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to www.ivaa.org, www.iavoa.com, www.vanetworking.com ..
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization, I also do career and job search coaching.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• If you can find a way to make it work, that would be so great for you and your kids!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:05 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• sorry - kid (singular)
    Iamgr8teful

• I know a way to start making $$ right away! You can stay home & make $$$. Perfect for college students!
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 3:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Before quitting maybe you should see if you could watch a few children at home while you care for your own. if you can make a pretty good amount tand you have a following- go for it!
    calatres

Answer by calatres at 7:54 PM on Sep. 15, 2010