What's Medicaid Waiver?

We've been told that our family might qualify for Medicaid Waiver. Does anyone know anything about this benefit and if it is really necessary to apply for this benefit although we already have private insurance through and employer???

Honestbest

Asked by Honestbest at 9:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My daughter had a diagnosis that lead to developmental delays. We applied for the medicaid waiver program to help cover therapy services and medical equipment (what our insurance didn't cover). I think they can also help with respite services. By the time my daughter finally qualified, there was a long waiting list, she had caught up developmentally!
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I've never heard of the waiver before. Could you ask the one who told you that you qualified?
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• In my state, Waiver is used in cases of mental and physical disabilities. I dealt with it a lot when I worked in the mental hygiene field. For example, it paid for assisted living care.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• In my state, the Medicaid wavier as it applies to children is for those with a significant, life-limiting medical diagnosis as determined by SSA standards. It is basically regular MA for your child, except eligibility is determined by the child's diagnosis, not parental income. The MA can be used as either primary or secondary insurance. If used as secondary insurance, it will cover your co-pays and pick up costs for items your primary insurance plan does not cover, like g-tube supplies or diapers, etc.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

Sure I will!

Honestbest

Comment by Honestbest (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2010