How do you discipline a tween?

My oldest son will be 12 in Sept. To old for spanking and I don't like humiliation. He is a great kid and I want a great Teen. Any thoughts?

koon293

Asked by koon293 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• You take away privileges. Take away electronic games, take away TV time, take away computer time that's not school related.
    And biggest is to NOT expect you child to misbehave just because he's going into his teen years. Know that a lot of things you'll be going through are going to be puberty related. It is an emotional roller coaster that he will need help riding. Be patient. Take a deep breath and be calm. Don't yell, whisper. And good luck, you are starting an exciting time with your son.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:12 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Take away things they enjoy..like computer time and video games.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 9:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I agree with Cochise take away things he likes. Do it a day per year. So since he is fixing to be 12 if he loses something he wont get it back for 12 days
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 9:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Rather than punish him when he is bad, reward him for being good. Let him earn priviledges, like screen time and hanging out with friends.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I don't have a teen/tween, but I WAS one once (ha ha!). My mom was big on "grounding"...she made it very clear what was expected of me and if I broke rules I knew I would be missing out on fun things with my friends. Knowing there were consequeces to my actions helped me think before I acted.
    one_on_the_way

Answer by one_on_the_way at 10:31 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Grounding from the things they like works for us. Depending on the infraction, I will take away video games, computer, TV, and playing with friends. Also, extra chores.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:48 AM on Jul. 21, 2010