Quad Screen testing and results?

I'm 22 and 17 weeks preggo with my 1st baby. I had a quad screen done last week and it came back with the baby have down syndrome. I go to a specialist for a level 2 ultrasound on Aug 4. I was wondering if any other mom's have done the quad screen and gotten similar results. If you have are you planning to get further testing? How often are the tests wrong? I'm trying not to freak out about it too much, but this is my first baby and if I wasn't worried before I sure am now.

lightning918

Asked by lightning918 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They are very often wrong, if they are off on your dates even a little bit it can really throw the results off. I personally didn't even have that test. Partly because of the high rate of false positives and because it wouldn't have made any difference to us at all.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• they wouldn't have told you a definite on if the baby has downs or not, the blood test only shows the possibility

That's why you get the level 2 ultrasound

I went through this. Went nuts waiting on that level 2 ultrasound too.
    Lots of poking and prodding for that then talked to a geneticist for a long time with her taking a very in-depth family history. Then she explained the #s on the blood test and what they look for as markers for downs and spinabifida and such. She explained my results and why I was called in.
    Because it's not an accurate test, they call you in for any abnormal result on that dumb test LOL

My daughter was born perfectly healthy!

Here's what you need to think about, would you really love your baby any less? would knowing something was wrong make you want to abort or give it up for adoption? If the answer is no, then DON'T worry!

LOL I hate that test and will never have it done again
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:33 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• oh and the geneticist told me not to worry due to the numbers and the family history.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I don't trust those tests. They OFTEN have false positives for down's.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Those tests CAN NOT diagnose your baby. They can only offer you a ratio of your risk as compared to the general population. You should use the Internet to research the marker tests and you will feel better. I chose to have all of the marker tests because our son was stillborn with multiple birth defects, so I have educated myself to the max on the issues. When you received your result, it should have been a ratio, not a positive or negative. In most cases, there is not a need to worry unless your ratio was at 1:250 or less, in which case you would simply decide whether or not you want to pursue further testing.

Best wishes to you and please google to find out more about the test and I doubt you will be as concerned as you are now. Also, if whomever gave you the results told you that your baby HAS down syndrome, then that is a big issue and you need to file a complaint.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• the same thing happened to me around 16wks...do not freak out or worry to much they tell you there is a good chance the results of the first test come back that way...mine came back for downs too..i dont the next ultrasound and they still couldnt tell and wanted to do the amnio and i refused...and now i have a wonderful 6mnth old baby girl that does not have any disabilities including downs! Next time i will skip those tests all together and just have a worry freee pregnancy i freaked out and all kinds of things when they first told me...good luck to you
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 10:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• The nurse called and was just like you had the quad screen done and it came back showing down syndrome. She didn't tell me a ratio or anything. Just that I needed to go to a specialist for further testing. I had the tests done because the baby daddy had another child die in infancy.
    lightning918

Comment by lightning918 (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Jul. 21, 2010