Is it usually the father that has the dominate trait or is it depending on what genes?

Meaning if he is light skin, blue eyes, tall, and curly hair. And I am dark skin, brown eyes, short, and have straight hair. Which of the following would our kid get?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• it comes from both of you. if you both have a gene for something then they combine and thats what makes it dominate. if he has dark hair and you are blonde the kid could have either. depending on if you both have the same gene. he may have a recessive gene for blonde hair. same with eyes and skin. two recessives make a dominate gene. kinda sorta
    chevygirl2007l

Answer by chevygirl2007l at 10:03 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• It just depends on who has the dominant genes, its not necessarily the father. For example I know with hair color and eye color typically the darker color is dominant, but it works on a scale...if that makes any sense. It basically means that if you have dark eyes and he has light eyes your child most likely would have darker eyes, but they could be any range of shades. I don't know which traits are dominant as far as height and straight or curly hair, but I do know that sometimes the blending of traits is more complicated that what meets the eye. I hope this was a little bit helpful.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the genes. There are dozens if not hundreds of genes that are specific to eye color alone. Dark eye color is dominant, dark hair color is dominant, but it really is just a matter how how your genes combine and are expressed.
    Anonymous

• Yup; neither sex is going to be "dominant." It's more about the actual gene you are speaking of; and it's own strength. i.e. eye color, skin color, hair texture, etc. I have a family full of blue eyes and some brown. I got green; my hubby has brown, and our son has blue; so it just depends on fate in the end...
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 10:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Depending on what over dominates what gene,

Usually Ears that are attached to your head ears,Over power that are not attached to your head,

Or,...Brown eyes DO dominate over Blue-Green Eyes,

But sometimes, It doesnt work out that way and you get a total somthing else from both parents
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:56 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• It's really the luck of the draw. There are dominant genes, but the people that have the dominant genes could also carry a recessive. For example, me, my mom and my sister all have dark brown eyes. My father has green eyes. So I received a recessive gene from my dad, and obviously the dominant gene from my mom. My husband has blue eyes, so two recessive genes. My daughter got one recessive gene from him, and my recessive gene, and has blue eyes as well. Sorry if that's kind of confusing!!
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• depends on the genes.... my hubby has darker skin, dark brown hair, dark brown eyes and straight hair. I have dark strawberry blond hair, blueish green eyes and white as white can get and i have curly hair. our son is very fair colored. bright blue eyes, and semi curly light strawberry blond hair! It all depends.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:27 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Depends on the genes...both my husband and I are short, brown hair, and green eyes. My daughter is tall, reddish brown hair, and blue eyes. This all runs in our family's, but we don't have these traits. Now everyone thought my DD was going to look like her dad because all her cusions(my SIL's kids) look like that side of the family. My dd is almost a spitting image of me in the face. So it really all depends on what decides it wants to jump out.
    Shoot my best friends kids all have blue eyes, two have blonde hair, one has bright red hair. Both parents have dark hair and dark eyes. It is just amazing how it all works out.
    SandraBeth

Answer by SandraBeth at 12:00 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Any combination of the above. you could have 10 kids and they could all look different.
    legalmom343

Answer by legalmom343 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• the simple answer is the dominate gene wins (dark hair over light, dark skin over light etc.) the complication is that each trait only gets so many genes and those could include the recessive gene from both of you and therefore you get a kid that has red hair and green eyes. Not even top scientist can answer which genes will come out in each kid!
    JoysMom

Answer by JoysMom at 1:12 AM on Oct. 2, 2008