Took DS to dr today and. .

his dr. said that they now say 4 months old is perfect time to start solids. Really??? He said they use to say to wait to 6 months but now that 4 months is a good time to start. what do you think?? He is EBF and would only get food after bf-ing

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 9:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think anytime in between is okay. it's really up to you.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would wait until he is old enough to sit on his own and pick the food up with his hands and chew it. I would not feed a 4 month old purees. I would skip them all together and continue to EBF until he grabbed food off my plate.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I'd ask to see the research. The current AAP guidelines are exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 months (nothing else). Really good info and the research behind it at Why Delay Solids

Many Drs are out of date with their info.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I breast fed too but I started feeding my son some baby cereal at 4 months....he would mostly spit it out because he was trying to figure out how to work him mouth which was REALLY adorable :)
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 9:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think you should wait until your son shows the signs of readiness. Like grabbing for your food, mimicking chewing, etc. Could be now, could be in 3 months. Don't worry, he'll let you know when he's ready.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think if you are EBF THE AAP recommends waiting till 6 months. If you are nt ready, dont do it. It isnt something you have to do.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• he is just going to tongue them to death~I like waiting just for the allergy factor~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 9:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• They always change everything when it comes when to start feeding, what to start feeding..etc. Just do what you feel is appropriate for you and your baby. For us personally...I started both of mine on solids a little after 6 months old. I'll probably do the same thing with our next one :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• @shortleo: If he is "spitting it out", he isn't ready, he still has the tongue thrust reflex designed to keep foreign objects(i.e. food) out of his mouth and keep him from choking.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2010