Any one else have a child that will be starting his/her first year of school this year?

My son is 4, He is autistic! Im sad worried and happy for all at the same time LOL! Im sad bc my little boy is getting so big! Im worried if the schools will take care of him right, he has never been away from me before, and im also happy bc this is a big step for him an dhe is soooo excited!

How do you ladies feel about your lil ones first year?

DeeMarie87

Asked by DeeMarie87 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in

• I know exactly how you feel! My son just turned 5 and is starting kindergarden this year and he is autistic and has ADHD. I am very worried about how the school is going to take care of him and treat him, but I have been reasured many times that he will have the best teachers to help him. I know I would still be worried even if he didn't have his disabilities, but it just makes it that much harder. I am excited though because I know he will like meeting other kids like himself and hopefully make some good friends. Stay strong mama, I know I'm trying to be. GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 10:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I have mixed feelings. My daughter is 3 and will turn 4 a month after she starts pre-school. I am excited for her since she will make friends and I worry about her because I know that no one will keep as close eye on her as I do.
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 9:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Sad and Happy. Sad that he is growing up but happy to see what a big boy he is becoming and what he has learned so far.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:37 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• She's had 2 years of preschool that was all day and she took the bus. But that was "little" school. She's starting kindergarten in 2 weeks and I'm scared to death and happy and sad too. :-)
    I can't beleive she's that big. She's so excited about it though. I just hope she doesn't pick up on my saddness and fear. :-) She won't be the biggest in school anymore :-(
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My youngest starts junior kindergarten this fall. I have mixed feelings about it. She will only be three until late December- in our province jk starts when they are four before December 31st and her b-day is Dec 20th. I wish that she could stay home the other year but I don't have that option. My other kids were over six months older when they started jk. I'm just worried she will struggle in academic regards because she is younger than most of the other kids, and I worry she will struggle behaviourally because she sometimes still acts like a three year old- because she is one! I also feel bad that she will always have to be 'the young one' wherever she goes- she is already the youngest of three kids and now is going to be younger that 99% of the kids in her class for her entire school career!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My 4th (and last) starts preschool this fall. I didn't have any problems sending my first 3, they were all very ready, but I'm a little worried about sending him - he's my baby!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2010