My baby can read?

Has anyone used the my baby can read products and do they work? how much are they? is it really worth it?

shortleo

Asked by shortleo at 9:38 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a scam. You baby memorized a few words from the TV and some flashcards. They do not learn Phonics (the main component for reading). Not worth it and better to just read and talk and point out things to baby. It will not help them later even if they can read early. I promise. I read like an elementary kid at 3 with no "educational videos. It didn't do anything but keep me bored at school.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:42 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Thanks I wasn't sure because all the new research says that Baby Einstein doesn't help either but my son could name all of his farm animals at about 18 months because we would watch it together then look at a book of farm animals together so I didn't know :)
    shortleo

Comment by shortleo (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• See, he can learn, but, you also were interacting with him one on one and reading and pointing out in the book as well. So, he mainly learned from you. LOL You can make you own flashcards and label things and read and point out. He will learn.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:46 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• As a reading specialist I would never buy it and use it with my kid. It is in no way helpful for your child to learn to memorize/identify words at this young age. It is like trying to build a house w/o a foundation. You want you kid to be a good reader and do well in school later? The build the foundation! That means talking to your child and building their vocabulary, taking them to the zoo, building with blocks, digging in the sand, reading to them, limiting tv/screen time etc.
    Spend your money on books and blocks and music and talk to and interact with your child a lot. Buying those dvds and flash cards is a big waste of money.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• it worked for my son and daughter and everyone has a different opinion although to me it was expensive :) my daughter is 18 months and she is reading not only the words the video uses !
    mommyof2chasmin

Answer by mommyof2chasmin at 9:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• The Daycare next to my house had on their billboard..."Intro to your baby can read is here". I about died and wanted to go in there to say something. That let me know real quick where not to take my kids. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Why does a baby need to read?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Because they will be super in school and get the best job. LOL Yeah, cause it happened with every early reader on the planet. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• My mom's a reading specialist, and agree's with these posters- any kid can learn sight words, but the brain is not ready to comprehend anything, which is what makes a good reader.
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 10:03 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• No but my son likes the commercials and I believe in flash cards.
    jagrus

Answer by jagrus at 10:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010