How much do spend on average for school supplies/school clothes?

Just curious,I think we spend less because we have a tuition to pay since it's private school for both of them.
We hope to stay under 500.00 for two elementary kids.

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 9:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in

• We homeschool. This year, I spent $200 on curriculum and $400 in supplies. I will end-up spending more on general supplies such as printer ink cartridges and printer paper. My son just recently switched clothing and shoe sizes and we have spent about $500 on a new wardrobe so far. I will also have to purchase his curriculum for 1st grade (begins January 3, 2011) before the end of the year and that will be around $300.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I have no idea yet - DS will be going to K and the only thing we bought so far is his backpack - $31 (I ordered it from landsend.com - $5 off AND free shipping! It will last a few years.). My mom bought him a Goodbyn lunchbox - so that would have been another $25. We have to pay $85 for registration. And we have a list of school supplies to purchase. I haven't even thought about clothes yet - we will address that when he actually needs them - when the season changes.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Well, DS had a huge growth spurt (thanks puberty), so now I need to buy him a completely new wardrobe for the Fall. I already got him new shoes, underclothes, shorts & shirts, but still need to get him jeans, a new winter coat, boots, a new mid-weight jacket and new undershirts. He also needs a new backpack b/c he destroyed his old one last year (but it was 7 years old). I'm not sure about school supplies yet this year because we don't get "the list" until the first week of school. The only things I'm positive about are the need for computer paper & ink b/c my son types everything.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:55 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• As a teacher I spend quite a bit on back to school supplies for students who can't or don't bring them (I've already spent almost $50). I would shop the sales now - I got 0.25 supplies at Staples this week - you're limited to two at a time, but you can come back the next day. I just bought a ton of composition books at Walmart - my chemistry kids need them for lab notebooks - for 0.25 cents each. Hit the sales!!! Luckily I don't have to worry about "school clothes" yet since my little guy is just almost 14 months :)
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 7:55 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• We will be HSing and this is our first year. So far I've spent $100 on supplies and classroom decor, but I still need to purchase the curriculum for the school year which will be another $400. Thankfully we do need back to school clothes!! :o)
    bluestarr80

Answer by bluestarr80 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I won't spend anywhere near $500. I've got good deals @ Walmart on school supplies, my mom is going to buy my girls their shoes and we've already bought uniforms(We do a lot of thrift store shopping. Lots of the items still had the tags on them!)
    marlarrie

Answer by marlarrie at 11:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2010

• well, with 2 out of 5 in school, we spend about 800-1000 on supplies, clothes, shoes, and teacher gifts! Plus another 600 on the other kids fall clothing
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 26, 2010

• i spend abut $60 on clothing... and supplies i buy the year prior... when back to school is over and i get things for pennies! it pays to shop ahead of time!
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:29 PM on Jul. 27, 2010