I WAS WONDERING , IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT COULD HELP ME? MY DAUGHTER IS EXPERIENCING A STRANGE CONDITION AND HER DR. DIAGNOSED IT AS "TRICHOTILLOMANIA" (SORRY IF I HAVE THE WRONG SPELLING) THIS IS ASSOCIATED WITH HAIR PULLING. PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT CAN BE DONE OR HOW TOT HELP HER STOP THIS BEHAVIOR.

SHE HAS LOST ALL OF HER EYEBROWS.

MYGIRLSAM7

Asked by MYGIRLSAM7 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I haven't heard that in YEARS. My cousin used to do this with her eyelashes when we were little.
    All i know is that it can be classified as a type of either OCD or COGNITIVE/BEHAVIOR Disorder.
    I checked out a few web sites.. and seems it can be treated with anti-depressants in some cases, or may need therapy.
    It mainly depends on WHY she is pulling. Is she doing it without knowing it.. or is this a pain/pleasure type of thing. I would suggest seeing a councelor to find out WHY she is pulling.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 10:30 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• By the way.. this site seemed to pretty informative.. and leads to several other helpful sites.
    http://westsuffolkpsych.homestead.com/trich_cbt.html
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I have a niece that does this but only when she gets stressed so they gave her meds for stress and it has clamed it down alot she was starting on her eye lashes
    LydiasMommy2199

Answer by LydiasMommy2199 at 11:08 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My mother used to do a little girls hair with this, they had to keep one side of her head shaved until they found away to help her. I believe they used a combo of meds and behavior modification therapy to help her overcome it. Good luck...
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 8, 2008

• im a 24 year old mommy of 2. i have been pullin from my eyelashes, brows, scalp for 20 years., i pulled from my legs and arms before i started to shave. the "wonderful" dox say there is nothing they can do. they can shove medicine down your throat but this hasnt even helped for me. it takes alot of self confidence and help from friends and family. when she goes to bed at night try putting gloves on her. let her know how gorgeous she is.... good luck and PF (pull free) vibes to her
    lovemybabybois

Answer by lovemybabybois at 10:22 AM on Jan. 12, 2009