I have 5 month old twins. My daughter will eat tcereal from a spoon now, but my son refuses. When should he be likely to take to the spoon? Will watching his sister eat from a spoon be helpful? Thanks!

Pocahontas14

Asked by Pocahontas14 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i wouldn't worry about it at all. kids are ready for solids at different ages. i'd just wait until 6 months and see if he's ready then. solids really are just for fun/experimentation at this age.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• he will be okay.
    jagrus

Answer by jagrus at 10:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Once he out grows the tongue thrust it will be fine. he's not developmentally ready yet. you can also skip cereal and go right to table fruit and veggies.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Thank you everyone. I don not push him for the spoon just curious as to when he may start liking it.

@amileegirl, would giving him a banana in a teething net be safe for him to mush on, only very small pieces come through the net . Thanks!!
    Pocahontas14

Comment by Pocahontas14 (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I never used feeding meshes, so have no experience with them.

i do baby led weaning (its self-feeding actually) so i never did purees or cereal or meshes or baby spoons. we went direct to soft foods and small pieces at 7 1/2 months when my baby stole food from my plate and ate it (no tongue thrust and had tongue control and cheing motions no teeth).. bled weaning we mealshare always.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I agree with the others. :) It is not needed until your baby is showing the signs of readiness: sitting up, teeth, self-feeding, no more tongue thrusting. Plus, just because they are twins, does not mean that they will be ready to do the same things at the same times. Each baby is different. :)

squish

Answer by squish at 11:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• In answer to your mesh question: Do not put banana in it, it is SO DIFFICULT to clean. Other foods are fine, I don't know what it is with the banana. I used mine as a "popcicle" after age one with frozen fruit in it. It was great for them because it was fun, and great for me because it took them a while for them to finish it, and I could get my kitchen back in shape. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 11:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2010