if you were a sahm for 2+ years and have a college degree....

how hard was it to find a job? Once my son is in grade K I'd like to get a job. But this won't be for a few years. I have a BA but am afraid it will "expire" since it's been so long since I've been in the workforce. Not to mention i'm almost 30 and many jobs hireyoung faces fresh out of college....

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• What is your degree in?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:28 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• you could do some volunteer work to have things to put on a resume
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 10:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• was tough I started staying home when I was pregnant and the only job that I can get is Part Time. My son is 18 months. I got an interview for an admin job but it is no salary positions. My degree is Bachelors Management and Bachelors Marketing
    jagrus

Answer by jagrus at 10:30 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I saw in an earlier post that it is in Communications. Could you do some free lance writing to keep your degree current and resume updated?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:32 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• communications. I focused mainly on radio broadcasting but took many courses on business and familial communication which would be good for social work, teaching, telecommunications....etc. My town is pretty limited in these fields. I'd have better luck working in retail but i've been there done that and would really like to use my degree. I studied hard, went to an expensive university and want to feel rewarded with a good job. And with SO's work schedule I wouldnt feel comfortable getting a day job right now since my son is only 2 and speech delayed
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I had an established career prior to becoming a SAHM after my older son was born, I was then a SAHM for 8 years until last fall, when my younger son started full-day Kindergarten (exactly what you want to do). I went back to work as a special education teacher. I had earned my BS, 20 years ago, and it was still as good as the day I got it! :o) I also have a Master's Degree, so as my children got a little older and were in preschool and summer day camp, I took the few courses I needed in order to take my state teacher's exam, and my husband and I worked out a schedule so I could get my student teaching in.

With a 4-year degree in any field you can become an Emergency Substitute Teacher--which I did, while taking online courses and student teaching, and earned over $100 per day! That's how I made some contacts in the school district where I am now working! :o)

Do it CAN be done, and schools are great for the flexibility
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I do just a little free-lance work on the side of being a SAHM (Yes I have a degree, and I've been a SAHM 3 years and counting), to keep my hand in the business (illustration/design).

It's nice, because if I ever want/need to seek employment, my resume will have something current on it. Though my honest hope is for when my kids are in school, I'll just ramp up the free-lance work and stay my own boss.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I haven't gone back into the workforce yet, and probably won't for a couple more years, but I think it depends on how marketable your degree is.
    trish2tew

Answer by trish2tew at 10:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• how would I get a freelance job? what does that job entail?
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You could try this- http://www.freelancer.com/

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:36 PM on Jul. 20, 2010