I need some help.

Ok, I need some job ideas. I have no formal schooling after high school, I've been a stay at home mom for the last 3.5 years.

I need a job that pays well, has evenings and weekends free(to be with my kids after school etc...) has benefits and that any courses required can be done in 2 years.

I haven't thought about "what I want to be when I grow up" in a very long time and I need some help coming up with ideas and options.

Much appreciated.

Laila-May

Asked by Laila-May at 10:40 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• SAHMs have many skills that employers value: logistics, time management, budgeting, etc. Take Microsoft office classes at a community college, especially Word, Excel and Powerpoint; take at least one bookkeeping class.

.You can find great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms

Answer by rkoloms at 9:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• To say you have had no formal training, I would say look at your success as a Mom. You managed a home, children, schooling, budget and a husband. With that said, there is also a huge need for people who will help take care of the elderly at home. There is a large franchise called "Visiting Angels". They send their workers out for a few hours a day, or whatever they request or for the need, they pay very well, they have great benefits. If you want to be around people who need you and you like taking care of a home and the beloved person who lives there, this is a great start on a great career. I depend on my care giver and know of several people much older then myself that they don't want to teach how to wash dishes, take out the garbage, make a meal. I hear so many stories about an 'Angel' who has to taught the very basics. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 10:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You can take a nursing assistant course (takes about 8wks) but you may get stuck working nights.What about running a home childcare?I did that when I wanted to stay at home. I chose my own hours and if you get licensed (easy to do) you can make decent $.If your interested in that I'll help you get resources.

I also agree with the prior post. Doing in home elderly care is pretty flexible and doesnt requirea special license. YOu can look in your phone book or online for agencys near you.
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 11:16 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Medical assisting is another one. You can do a one year or two year course. Those jobs are usually found in doc offices so you know your getting good hrs and benefits. I would set up an appointment with your locla college at take a career test, or do one online. Then you can narrow down your interest.
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 11:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• You could earn money from home without a traditional job. There are countless options out there and not all of them cost money or require sales. Message me if you'd like to know what I do for extra money.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 8:57 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Hey Mama! Being a stay at home Mom is definitely a full time job in itself... I too am a SAHM, sometimes my 2 year old drives me NUTS.. LOL, but I couldn't imagine leaving him everyday! I have come across an AWESOME company that allows me to stay home with my lil man and make some extra income from home, check it out at http://www.mylabellabaskets.com/bbuchanan.html. Message me for more info, I look forward to hearing from you soon!
    bbuchanan1985

Answer by bbuchanan1985 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 22, 2010