How can a mom be pro-choice?

I've seen a few people on CM that get so defensive when it comes to abortion questions...
Isn't everyone on CM a mom? how can a mom be okay with abortion? when you hold your baby in your arms and look at them...is that something you would have concidered? what if you had, think of what you would be missing.

nickellmomof2

Asked by nickellmomof2 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I am a mom. I am pro-life. I am anti-abortion, HOWEVER, I think the choice is a woman's. I think we all have the right to choose what we do in life. I also believe we have to accept the consequences of our actions. We don't get to choose those. So if a woman chooses to murder an unborn baby, she is going to have to live with that forever. I think all women thinking of having one should be required to have an ultrasound. Full disclosure is the only way to get fully informed consent. Then they can't pull the "I was told it was only a blob of tissue". They are fully accountable.
    collier5

Answer by collier5 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• How can a WOMAN not be pro-choice?
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I wouldn't do it, but, I will defend a womans right to have one.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:19 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Bottom line: The issue has nothing to do with the medical procedure. Are you willing to give up your right to make decisions regarding your own body? Imagine how far that could go.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Just to put some perspective in this...I read a story about a lady that per the sonogram, the baby was severly deformed to the point that no amount of surgery would fix it. The internal organs were not formed properly and the baby would suffer a painful birth to be followed by a painful death. She was in her 7th month and rather than to put her child thru that, she found a doctor that would administer pain meds to the baby and abort it. IMO, that mother faced the hardest possible choice a mother can have...to give birth knowing the pain the child would suffer only to die or to abort and give the baby a peaceful end. To me this was the most unselfish thing she could have done.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I would say to consider all the possibilities before you rule out being pro choice....for example if a girl was raped should she be forced to go through pregnancy? How about if i girl was molested by a family member and got pregnant? I love my child more than anyone but I understand if some women are not ready to be moms or have horrible circumstances.
    shortleo

Answer by shortleo at 11:24 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• i couldnt but it's none of my business if another woman wants one.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• It all comes down to when you think a baby actually forms...is it in the first few weeks when it is just cells or is it when the heart starts beating.

While I will not have an abortion, I will not take that right away from another woman.

Will I mourn any baby that is aborted, yes but I'm not gonna pass judgement cause I don't know the circumstances. There are some stories that I am glad that the woman was given the right to abort, but I do think that too many times it is used a a birth control.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I agree with Erin. I'm pro-choice but anti abortion. I feel I have every right to decide what happens to my body but I dont think abortion should be used as a BC.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I think it is sick to even consider killing an unborn child! The child didn't have a choice or a say so. Just because some women decide they didn't need condoms. I worked at a clinic where the same lady got 4 abortions!! She acted like that was her form of protection by just having the baby aborted! Adoption is a choice!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 11:25 PM on Jul. 20, 2010