Whne a parent goes shopping with a young child do you think the parent should put their child on a leash?

Recently, I have seen parents walking around with no cart and their young child is on a leash....]

I would love to hear negative feedback and positive feedback on why parents do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on Jul. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• no way. kids are not dogs. they're leashes whether the 'politically correct' version is "harness". YEAH RIGHT. it's a LEASH. what ever happen to HOLD MY HAND???? my son has been walking beside me at the store since 16 months old. he holds the cart. even today, we took my 2yr old and 3yr old to the zoo for 2hrs, with no stroller, or wagon. except for the times i let them run around the water area, they HELD my HAND! WOW! it's like people can't teach their kids the simplest things anymore...

sorry, leashes are a pet peeve of mine and they set me off. i won't go all up in someone's face about them, i just thank God i'm not the one that has children who i have to worry about running off all the time that i need a leash....because i take the time to teach them. wonder how many thumb downs i'll get for this one LOL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• actually army wife thumbs up to you. thats what i meant when i said i absolutly wont use them for everyday things. but a concert in the park......if my daughter let go of my hand for a second someone could grab her and disdapear so quikly with that many people around! and when i do use them in massive crouds, i follow my kids around, i dont lead them like dogs, it is just so that they are attatched to me. i still let them go their way i just have a firm attatchment that they cant let go of even for a second!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:04 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• They do it because that is what works for them. I would never do it. I let my kids run wild. Who would steal a wild child any how? Only the well behaved kids get kid napped right?
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I've never used a leash for my child, but my children have never been really rowdy and are good about staying by my side.

I could care less if somebody else uses a leash. I would use one if I had to. It's much better than losing your child
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 11:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• I see no problem with the harness. If it helps the child feel like he can walk around, yet, is still safe..why not?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:52 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• absolutly not! however i do have a harness for my one year old and one for my three year old that i use when we go to large events. like we went to a concert in the park last week and when there are thousands of people around i just feel safer to have them attatched to me. but i dont agree with using them for grocery shopping or going for walks, just in really scary big crouds and when travelling like on a greyhound or plane at the layovers in large cities.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• We have a "leash" for my son... we've never used it for things like shopping... only when we went to the zoo, airport and a parade. We use it when we are in large crowds where a stroller doesn't always work... and he's 2, he get's antsy holding our hand the whole time. I think that they are fine to use if the parent thinks it will help... like at the store maybe the child won't sit in the cart but they don't want them running around like a mad man when they have shopping to do.
    As long as they aren't pulling them along like a dog and only using it so the child doesn't run off and get into trouble I think they are fine.
    And it's not about "controlling" a child it's about giving them more freedom!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:56 PM on Jul. 20, 2010

• Its not a leash. Its a child safety harness. My DD loves to help & be independent. I encourage that, however, I do realize the need for her to also be safe. This is a great middle ground. I see no problem with this whatsoever.

As far as this being the treatment of a dog, what kind of moronic thing is that to say?! You rub your dogs nose in their piss, you make them eat from a bowl on the floor & often times sleep in a crate.

I also love the idiots who seem to have robots for child, with no minds of their own. You never know when your child might do something that you have told them not to do. Hell, this kind of behavior begins at toddler age & only gets worse as they get older- despite whatever these "awesome perfect" mothers think...yeah, good luck with that. Ugh.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 2:34 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• using harnesses with young children all depends on the child realy. some children flourish with the freedom AND safety a harnes offers them
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:59 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Ok, here is what my opinion was when I was a mother of one: No, I have never used one and will NEVER use one. Never had the need and don't really understand why people need them. Now that I am a mother of two: People who use them are doing what they feel is best for their child and what makes them feel good about the security of their children. Now that I have my daughter, who has just blown me away with her energy and little craziness, I actually said just a few days ago that hey, maybe those things aren't so terrible. My daughter is completely different from my son who I would NEVER had needed a "leash" for. She is a little firecracker! We are doing a little mini vacation in which we will be doing a lot of walking this weekend. I don't want my daughter to have to sit in a stroller the whole time, so I can now see how those things aren't as bad as people make them out to be. Who knows...I just may get one.
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 7:22 AM on Jul. 21, 2010