vitamin d?

So, my mother is on this kick where she thinks i need to give my son vitamin d drops since he is EBF. The doctor mentioned it at his 2 month well visit. My midwife told me that it wasn't necessary, and i don't feel the need to give him vitamin d. he gets sun exposure, and i take a prenatal vitamin with vitamin d. i read the study by the american board of pediatrics, and it seemed like just a lot of speculation. i personally feel that breastmilk is all my baby needs. what are your thoughts?

kikikiki

Asked by kikikiki at 10:16 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastmilk is all your baby needs. 

Here is some info for ya:

World Health Organization information [Butte 2002, p. 27 ] states, "Two hours is the required minimum weekly amount of sunlight for infants if only the face is exposed, or 30 minutes if the upper and lower extremities are exposed." This guideline is from a study [Specker 1985] of exclusively breastfed Caucasian infants under six months old at latitude 39°N (Cincinnati, Ohio, USA). Darker skinned infants may require a longer time outside (three to six times the sunlight exposure) to generate the same amount of vitamin D [Good Mojab 2002].

Check out this link for more: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d.html

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:37 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• your breastmilk cannot provide vit D to your child. giving him moderate sun exposure will, and should be adequate.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:22 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Sun exposure is the best way to get vit d. Way better than some supplement. A little bit of sun goes a long way!
    sweetsea07

Answer by sweetsea07 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My babies get the sun, not a supplement.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 11:09 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Exclusively BreastFed
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 11:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Ditto on the sunshine for Vitamin D. Besides, the vitamin supplement is FOUL! I bought some for my DS and never gave it to him after I smelled it.
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 11:39 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i agree with most of the moms... a bit of sun goes along way. Children that arent breastfed later as toddlers need vitamin d suppliments. I have touched bases with my Ped, and he said when the time comes we will talk further.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2008