Can I move out of the country if I have already been served by my ex-boyfriend's attorney?

I currently have sole custody of my 5 month old baby. We were never married and he was not there for me during the pregnancy. He has obtained an attorney and we have mediation this Friday. Can I leave the county for good if I have been served?

justmeandbrooke

Asked by justmeandbrooke at 12:34 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• CAN you? Yes. Will a warrant be put out on you? Yes.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:36 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I have been served papers by a ex before and moved. I did not get a warrant out for my arrest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• physically yes.. legally.. no. and if you do it's going to hurt your case.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:39 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• um yeah you would automatically lose the case and when they caught up to you your baby would go straight to him. go to legal aid and see if you can get an attorney yourself and fight. if you do not show up at the court heering he is automatically awarded what he wants! dont walk away. fight it!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:39 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• "I have been served papers by a ex before and moved. I did not get a warrant out for my arrest. "

lol, that you are aware of anyways.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:40 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• and most states are mothers rights. and in a mothers rights state they wont take a child from his mother unless there is real need(like heroin or meth) and if your breastfeeding its a big bump up for your side of the case!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:40 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I found an attorney today...FINALLY who is taking my case. Thanks for your answers and I was pretty sure it was too risky. Sometimes I just want to leave!
    justmeandbrooke

Comment by justmeandbrooke (original poster) at 12:41 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• There is no extradition for custody. If you leave the US no one will come bounty hunt you and bring you in. If you have a legit reason for leaving the country, like work or school or a visa issue or because you are a citizen somewhere else, then file a motion with the judge saying you plan to leave due to XYZ and then go.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:42 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• xxhazeldovexx---I was very aware that I did not get a warrant for my arrest when I moved. It really all depends on what a person is served for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Whatever it is that you have a warrant for you have to wait and see what happens. If you move before YES you can be served a warrant!
    rosesrred1

Answer by rosesrred1 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2010