so which is it?

I've seen so many mom's up here say they use a leash for their kids when out in public, shopping, in crowds, ect., so they can stay close but still have their freedom. but then i click on another question and all of a sudden i see all these other mom's say to put them in a sling, they like to bond with their child and vise versa, even if it does mean to sit there and wait for the kid to stop his tantrum/fit/crying to put them in the sling. (of course i'm speaking of toddlers)

but then you have people like me, lol, who do the old fashion teaching the kids to hold your hands, but let them run around in a designated area...not too far but not to close.

so which is it? in your opinion, should toddlers have freedom,(obviously not TOO much freedom) or be attached at the hip in a sling, while in public (even if it does mean waiting for the fit to be over)?

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No leashes in public unless the place is completly unsafe.....like oh idk? A race track? A hike up a mtn? I dont think children need freedom in public. The best place for freedom is playing at the park ....your back yard or their bedroom:)
    Chris127

Answer by Chris127 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It depends.

When DD was a toddler (she's 4 now), I used a harness on her 2 times...both were when we were in a crowded airport and it was just me and her. Sometimes toddlers don't want to hold your hand or stay close to you or want to stay in their stroller and they get too heavy to carry for any period of time...and since I knew I'd be stressed anyway, I took the easy way out.

BUT...to do the harness for just regular shopping trips and such? Yeah, I don't get that.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:45 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I bought the wrist tether with intentions of using it in the airport when we were traveling overseas but never had to use it....

we are hand holders.... my dd is a bit on the hefty side (LOL) and I am a petite mom so i dont think the sling thing would work out to well for us... :o)
    it does bother me a little to see a child in a harness in the grocery store or mall .... YET i try not to judge because i do not know the whole situation....
    chiana

Answer by chiana at 12:52 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i have not, and will never use a leash on a child!!! its called having control over your children...which alot of parents dont have these days..take the time to teach them..enforce it...and punish if they dont!! its that simple. im 27, my daughter is 6..i am by no means strict with her, but i did make sure i tought her how to act in public. and she always behaves herself. suure she walks a couple steps in front of me when were at the grocery store, or in the mall or walking down the street, or whatever..but when were in a busy place, crossing streets etc, she holds my hand. i have a friend that has a kid, and she uses that frickin leash on him, whenever or wherever they go out..we've taken the kids to chuck e cheese a few times, and the whoooooole time the kid is on a leash...it is SOO embarrasing!!! kids need freedom, or they will never learn!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:56 AM on Jul. 21, 2010