When to eliminate the sippy cup?

My son is two and I am tired of buying sippy cups every month because they are surprisingly expensive and then the little white plastic piece that goes in the lid comes out and gets lost and then they leak and I have to buy new ones. When can I just give him a small plastic cup to drink from?

LisamomofJames

Asked by LisamomofJames at 1:21 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter turned 2 in April and she's been using a cup for quite some time now, for awhile I was still using sippys and got tired of her carrying them around and losing them or them still leaking even with the stopper thing. She only drinks from a cup now. I use a plastic mug with a handle, she uses it very well and rarely spills. If we go somewhere I generally just get her a cup with a straw. She actually seems to prefer a cup to a sippy anyway and she knows with a cup it has to stay on the table where a sippy she will leave anywhere. In the long run its a lot nicer to have her drinking from a cup and I think your son will be fine with the transistion, make sure it has a handle! It helps a lot. The one my daughter uses isn't even a kids cup, its actually just a regular plastic mug.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 9:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Not sure about that, however I have a question for you...did you have a hard time getting your child to drink the same amount of milk from the sippy cup each time as they would have from the bottle? That is my problem so my kid is still on bottle for milk.
    Daisyj22

Answer by Daisyj22 at 1:23 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Im not quite at this stage yet with my son but i say once your child learns to drink from a regular cup get rid of all sippys and let them drink from the big kid cup. good luck
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 1:24 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I never gave my son milk in the bottle, it was only formula and then when we ran out of our last WIC checks it was water only and he decided he would rather have a sippy full of milk than a bottle full of water and within a few he had lost interest completely with no tears.
    LisamomofJames

Comment by LisamomofJames (original poster) at 1:26 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• well mine are 3 & 4 and I still use sippies and probably will much longer. I'm not a fan of cleaning up messes all day LOL

As for expensive, I get the take and toss kind! much cheaper! and they can be used as a real cup later on.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Kids should be able to drink from a regular cup at 18 months.. although there are still accidents at 18 months. I give my DD water in a cup, it goes on the floor, but she drinks from it first, she's 14 months.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 1:45 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Why are you buying new cups? The valves can be replaced! I would say though since he is two it is time to start transitioning him away from sippy cups. He's old enough to not need a sippy cup anymore.
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 7:58 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I started giving my son small sips of water out of my cup when he was around 10 months old. At 20 months, he's fairly proficient with a cup at the table, but if we're going anywhere we still use a sippy.

Answer by missanc at 9:25 AM on Jul. 21, 2010