Why Must We Fight?

I am Wiccan. But I would support my son in any religion he wanted to go in to. I don't see why people have to fight over which religion is right or wrong. Shouldn't it be about what makes you feel comfortable, and about having something to believe in? Doesn't Christianity teach tolerance? So why can't most Christians be tolerant of other religions? To each his/her own, right? Or is it against the law to be different now?

NickyJamesMom

Asked by NickyJamesMom at 10:34 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• LOL.. I thought that you were supposed to radiate tolerance as a Christian..but its quite the contrary...Sad and true....They are not open to other religions...that is why I gave up on some....
    Anonymous

• ITS NOT A RELIGION IS THE RELATION SHIP THAT U HAVE IN CHRIST JESUS..
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• You're so right. I don't know which Jesus some people are following but it seems to not be the one that taught about love and peace and compassion.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:45 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Yes, I think Christians should be tolerant of other religions (and I strive to be). That said, I believe that perhaps the reason Christians are less tolerant of other religions (particularly with their own children) is that we believe there is more to lose. If you are an Atheist, and your child chooses to be a Christian - there is simply nothing to lose. However, in the reverse situation, Christians believe that there is everything to lose. As a Christian mother, I can think of nothing more painful than trying to imagine living eternity without my child. Please understand that I'm not trying to bash any other religions, or be disrespectful....That's just my honest answer to the question.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Oh, and to add to my answer - that is NO REASON for the so-called "Christians" on this site to behave in the manner they do. It is still NOT our call to judge.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I didn't really finish my statement.... I just want to say I am a follower of Jesus, most definitely. But I am also a definite believer that EVERYONE is on their own path that is the RIGHT path for THEM. No one, not one person on the planet has the right to tell another person that THEIR path is wrong. NOBODY. You can share your beliefs but you cannot tell someone else that their path is wrong. That's not your call. God will do what needs to be done to get the "stranded".
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I try not to offend anyone as a Christian because I do want them to see Christ in me. I do have my beliefs such as I do believe the only way to God is through His Son Jesus and this is based upon the bible. I believe God sent His Son to die for our sins because He hates sin. I do also realize that there are many who do not hold this same belief. I'm not going to beat you over the head with my bible,..... I will share with you in love and out of love my beliefs and leave the decision up to that person. Will I be mean or offensive or hateful to that person if they reject my beliefs... No. I hate it when I see Christians "bashing" and acting in a way Jesus never would.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:10 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• "ITS NOT A RELIGION IS THE RELATION SHIP THAT U HAVE IN CHRIST JESUS.."

re·li·gion (r-ljn)
    n.
    1.
    a. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
    b. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
    2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
    3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
    4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

Case in Point. It IS a religion.
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 11:31 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• perhaps hinson was referring to "organized" religion? in that case, it IS about your relationship with God, not about what religion you claim to be. Jesus didnt teach about what "religion" everyone should be....to think that you have one upped someone elses religious or spiritual beliefs is religious pride. thats a no no. He did however, teach us about love. and it wasnt the religious people of His time that He chose to spend His time. He chose to spend His time with the people considered "unholy". the "nonchristians" of His time. instead of looking down on, being hateful, and condeming others, we should follow Christ example and live in a way others can see Him in us. we are called to be a "light to the world". i am apalled at the different "christian groups" on here who are so hateful to EACH OTHER! if we cant even treat each other decent, how do we expect to treat others who dont know God with decency?
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 1:26 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Generally, I assume people that get nasty when a viewpoint other then there own comes up -- are just insecure and don't feel confident in what they believe. Some people that are raised in a religion have accepted things as "They just ARE - because I was told they were"... so, if you challenge that they feel backed into a corner and get defensive. I really enjoy the mature open minded discussions with people that know what they believe and don't feel threatened by those that feel differently. That can have a discussion without it being a "recruiting session." I do wish those were more prevalent.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:43 AM on Oct. 2, 2008