just moved to a new country and my 27 month old finds a hard time adjusting

my 2 year old can't adjust to our new life in the uk.. we've been here for 2 monthes i sent her to a nursery.she is getting used to it .. now she plays and has fun there... but when we're home i feel she punishes me for sending her there. she's very aggressive... throwing tantrums all the time... she became very stubborn.. never listens to a word i say... as if i'm not even talking and when she does of course NO is the answer to any question...i love her but she makes me angry alllllll the time.. sometimes i loose my temper i even burst into tears sometimes... i'm alone in a foreign country away from my friends and family .. no help at all.i even have no time or energy for my husband when he comes home. i'm tired i'm overwhelmed what shall i do

docmamy

Asked by docmamy at 3:37 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She is most likely just going through a stage. She'll adjust eventually. For mibehavior, the key is to choose a form of punishment and be consistent with it. Time outs if you choose should be 2 min long cuz she's two. Whatever you do make sure you stick with what you say. Also, try to find something you two can do together that will entertain you both to where you don't feel like you're always telling her no. Try to dance with her to music or color in a book together, or maybe playing outside with a ball or something. Good luck!
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 3:48 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• First, HUGS to you!!! I absolutely know what it's like to move to a new country with a little one, you're far from home, family, friends, etc, and having to adjust to a new environment. (I'm a Navy wife, my dh has been in 20 yrs, we've been married 18, and I was also AD when we met, so believe me - I do understand and have done this a few times! In fact - I live overseas now...)

So, with that being said - please believe me that it WILL get easier. I think part of it is probably because you're probably still feeling a a little stressed and overwhelmed and nervous about being there, and are still trying to adjust and get settled in and make friends, right? Well, your lo is going to pick up on that, and it's going to contribute to her stress.

There's not a whole lot you can do about that, except just take time and

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:14 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• cont

Take time, and make an effort (I know how hard it is, but trust me, it WILL help) - to get out and meet some people, make friends, get to know the area, etc. Those things will make you feel more at home, and that will help her feel more at home.

Good luck, and hang in there!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2010