Homeschool for high schoolers?

My daughter is completely flipped out about the increase in class size at her school (due to budget cuts); they are going from 28 to 37, and she is worried that she won't learn. I promised her that I would look into home school options, but I have a bunch of questions:

Can AP classes be taught at home? How do they take the AP exams? How do you apply to universities without a high school transcript?

I will probably have more questions, if we decide to move forward. Thank you in advance for your wisdom!!

Asked by rkoloms at 6:18 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i know that some collages offer high school online for free so she still would have a transcritpt
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 6:29 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I'll be back looking at the answers given. Sorry I can't help bacause I have an 8th grader who will be going to school in the Fall BUT we are considering homeschooling for 9th grade. Thanks SO MUCH for asking this!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 7:11 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I will probably ask this in the Happy Homeschoolers group (on CafeMom); I was hoping to avoid group drama...

Comment by rkoloms (original poster) at 8:19 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I know that my local community college offers classes for high schoolers where they earn college credit and meet their high school requirements at the same time. It is the best of both worlds in my opinion.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I agree with Squish. Our local college offers a program where highschool juniors and seniors can take one free class per quarter (they have to pay for the books themselves), or our highschool had a "post secondary" program, where the students were still enrolled at the highschool, but they took college classes. I know that there were guidelines to the program to make sure that t he students had all the necessary credits to graduate.

PS. You should be really proud of your daughter. Most kids wouldn't care about something like that. She's really taking initiative, and she'll go far =)
    Lennon_Molly

Answer by Lennon_Molly at 4:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• There are now several state offered Onine high schools, you apply to colleges by getting your transscripts from the school in the mail or request them from the state them selves. My oldest is wanting to attend our local ESchool. It is run like the home school assoations are. with extra ciricular activites and soon dances and soicals as well Check out www.K12.com They have schools based in almost every state
    gypsysparrow

Answer by gypsysparrow at 1:22 AM on Jul. 23, 2010