How committed are you to "breast is best"?

Why do you breastfeed? Is it because of the opportunity to bond with your baby? Is it because it's convenient? Is it because it's natural?

Is it because it's the best nutrition they can get?

What if all those things were stripped away? What if you weren't able to nurse and instead had to pump and feed through a bottle or a tube in the belly? What if, rather than convenient, it basically became a sentence of being tied to a machine at small intervals to provide milk?

And what if your infant was temporarily or long-term unable to take breastmilk? Would you still keep it available for them? How long would you wait?

My daughter is unable to breastfeed and there is a decent chance this won't change. She still gets milk because I pump. I'm just wondering how many mamas would go how far to get that precious milk, at and what point you say you just need to care for yourself.

tyheamma

Asked by tyheamma at 7:04 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As someone who has been in your exact situation with TWO children...I can still say that breast is best...although it doesn't always work out how we want it to. I had to pump and bottle feed two children. You do get to the point where you can do it anymore. Not only because it takes so much effort to pump, but also because pumping is not as efficient and eventually your supply does dry up. You really would have to stay attached to a pump ALL day to be able to provide the amount of milk your child needs. A lot of people just choose to not care or believe what other women have to go through when breastfeeding, but you just have to learn to not CARE what they think. As long as your child is taken care of it and healthy then it is no one's business but your own. Yes, breast is best, I don't really think that is debatable...but sometimes you have to do what is necessary for your child.
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 7:52 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would want my baby to get the breastmilk if she were sick and was on a feeding tube. If that were only for afew weeks, afew months, then that is fine! I breastfed with no complications for 15 months and that was tiring enough, I can't imagine pumping for that long.
    Good luck with whatever you choose to do. And I hope your little one does well :)
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:26 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I feel breast is always best, did my research & found out the chemicals they're using in formula. I felt so strongly about it had my milk dryed up I would've gone to a milk bank instead of using formula. If it were me I'd pump & feel good that I could do something so important for her & recognize the sacrifice I was making for me. It all goes in stages, soon she'll be eating solids & this won't be a problem anymore. Try to hang in there, the breastfeeding group on here's great for support & ways to increase your milk, ultimately you have to decide how much more you can take. Therer were a couple of times I wanted to quit but I pushed thru & am so glad I did!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:40 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I tried bfing... Went to formula quickly and my daughter thrived on it!! I have a few health issues... I know my baby would not have been as healthy if I bfd. She's been sick once in 3 years! As far as the bond, i made sure we had a lot of skin to skin contact, I NEVER propped the bottle and we have a fantastic bond!!! Its all up to you! If this is stressing you out, she's feeling it and there is a way to help! You need to care for yourself otherwise you won't be able to provide all those other things your baby girl needs. Taking care of a child means you need to take care of yourself as well! Trust me...... I've learned that the hard way! GL mama!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:58 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would pump as long as I could and hopefully to close to a year. get donated or milkbank breastmilk before I went to formula. species specific milk is best-it can't be duplicated. I'd try to simulate breastfeeding as much as possible.

http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

www.drjacknewman.com

Milk Share
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:46 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I would get donated milk & continue to pump as long as possible. I would also keep trying to nurse my baby. I would never give my child formula.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 12:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I applaude you and the first woman as well. You ladies are doing such a great thing for your babies. I had a friend that could not breastfeed her first two babies due to a deformity in their mouths, and she pumped for 9 months with the first and 6 months with the second. Her third childhad no problems, and her nursing relationship with him brought much healing and comfort.

I don't know what I would end up doing in that situation. I would pray that I could make it to a year, but if that didn't work out, I would hope that I could get donor milk. I know I wouldn't stop trying though, I couldn't.
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• With my first, we tried breastfeeding and it didn't work out for us. So I pumped for 4 weeks and then my milk dried up and he went on formula. He did fine and so did I.

With my second, she breastfed beautifully right from the start and is still going strong at almost 10 months. It's been a great experience for both of us and I've for the most part, really enjoyed it.

I chose to breastfeed for my children's health, the convenience of it, and the fact that it's FREE :-)
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My son was born 16 weeks premature and spent those 16 weeks in the NICU. I exclusively pumped the entire time, except for the once-a-day nursing session once he reached about 34 weeks gestation. After he came home, I was still exclusively pumping for about 3 weeks, and then pumping over half the time for about 4 weeks....23 weeks, almost 6 months of pumping. At one point, I had major supply issues- to the point where I was lucky if I pumped 6 oz in 24 hours. Luckily I had a stockpile in our freezer from times that I was "out pumping" him. It took a lot of work but I was able to get my supply back up. Once he came home he would only latch with a nipple shield and still needed fortifier added to his breastmilk. After many appointments with a nutritionist and much latching work, he is now exclusively breastfed- no fortifier, no bottles, no nipple shield.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• (con't)

It was very difficult and frustrating. I still have the urge to take a bat to my pump.

But my son has never had formula and I am glad to know that I did everything I could. I would never have given up. I would've pumped 6 oz a day for a year just so he could some breast milk.

When you become a mother, your child comes first.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2010