I want to know......

the reason why those who oppose same sex marriage, other than the obvious religious one?? Marriage has nothing to do with religion, it is a civil right, so why do some oppose to give those rights to others who want it? Why would you want to be the obstacle to someone happiness?
Don't quote scripture or the adam and eve statement, give me a reasonable explanation to your opposing, or give me the procreation excuse.

Asked by older at 7:29 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • The only reason other than religion I've heard people come up with is because they personally think it's 'gross'- which IMO, is a dumb-ass reason to deny an entire group of human beings happiness and rights.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:50 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I have no clue. You know I support same sex marriage 100%.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:00 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Well it doesn't threaten me... I really don't care if they marry or not... I have a sister thats in a relationship with a woman... big whoop ti do lol. But I think some people maybe are threatened by it because possibly they may do a better job at it than others....maybe just plain old jealousy. How many times have women fallen in love with a gay man too..... way too many times.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 7:54 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I do not oppose same sex marriage - marriage is about the love, not about the sex - sex just happens to go along with marriage. And to those of you who are going eeeeeewwwwww......Is that the reason you feel so jaded towards same sex marriage....to that I say, "mind your own business!"
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 7:56 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Well from that other question, I am now hearing how they divorce quicker now. Maybe some people are going to try to use that as an excuse for their discrimination....the whole, "they are making a mockery of marriage by their divorce rate." WELL, hetero marriages are at a 50% divorce rate already! Those gays will have to work awfully hard to beat that record!! Why isn't anyone bitching about heteros making a mockery of marriage?
    IT's all a bunch of bigotted bullshit. People who think they are better than others and want to keep a group of people below them so that they themselves can feel superior. Meanwhile, they will in the same breath state how they "are sinners too". Yea RIGHT! If they truly believed that, they wouldn't take such pride in calling out others "sins".
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:52 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Other than reasons given by religions, I really can't think of a reason to oppose same-sex marriage.

CharleneS.

Answer by CharleneS. at 9:56 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I support the right to marry, for EVERYBODY. Legally, marriage is a civil union. In Puritan times, ministers were FORBIDDEN to perform marriage ceremonies, because of this. You get a marriage license like you get a driver's license or a hunting license. And the act of signing the license--in the presence of at least two witnesses--creates the marriage. You don't need a ceremony at all. It's just that human beings like to have the ritual to go along with the license. We know that christians have a tendency to want to control the people around them with their long list of "Thou shalt nots", and they don't like it when these people don't listen. Christianity has had control of the world for over 2,000 years. Gay sex and marriage doesn't affect their lives. It affects their sense of arrogance and superiority.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:29 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Maybe they are threatened by it for some reason.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 7:41 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Cochise, how can someone elses relationship threaten you? I get a feeling there will not be too many answering this!

Comment by older (original poster) at 7:43 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• You know ladies, that eeewww effect I do not understand either, they do not do anything different than heterosexuals in the privacy of their own bedrooms, even heteros use toys!!!!!!

Comment by older (original poster) at 7:58 AM on Jul. 21, 2010