Bedwetting, how can I stop it?

My child is almost 3, she was doing great at 18 mos then her whole world changed when daddy came home from war. I stopped potty training until she turned 2 and she did alright with me. Daddy stuck her in pull ups every time I left the house. It got to the point she wouldn't take the pullup off without kicking and screaming so I quit buying them. I know she is still SOOO young, but I can't put her back in pullups!!! During the day she does fine, she stays dry half the time at night and I feel bad that she has to go through this so young but she breaks out in rashes because she won't take that pullup off!!! How do I help her and save my bed without the use of a pullup/diaper/absorbent thing!

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 8:14 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Put a plastic sheet on the mattress (Wal-Mart sells the in the sheet aisle). NO liquids after dinner - NO EXCEPTIONS. Then get her up to pee when you go to bed. Yes, wake her up and take her to the potty. Most children at that age are extremely hard sleepers and are sleeping through the need to go to potty. You have to limit liquid intake and then help condition her to use the potty in the middle of her sleep cycle. My parents did that with me and it turns out that at around age 3 my bladder stopped growing so that at age 10 I had it stretched. But to this day, with their conditioning of waking me up, I still get up in the middle of the night to pee.

Good luck.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:19 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• You can't expect her to develop overnight bladder control on your schedule, her body has to be ready. Some kids don't until age 12. Their bodies don't produce hormones to slow their kidneys at night, so their bladders fill up at the same rate as during the daytime. If the issue is your husband and her tantrums, you need to deal with those issues, because you cannot control nature.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:20 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• If you are going to potty train then both you and your husband need to be working together.

If your child is dry during the day that is great but if not it is relatviely easy to clean up day "accidents" so I agree to avoid pull ups. For night I would get a couple of reusuable diapers that you can put on her. Generally my son is 2 and a half and has dry nights most night. When I come to bed he tends to stir a little and I take him to the toilet, he goes and doses off. I still put him in a reusuable diaper just to be on the safe side but usually he will go again first thing in the morning when he wakes up.

Of course though like SWasson said don't push it. Just appreciate and respect your child's limits and don't force them into it. If your child was dry before at night before her dad came home this could have disrupted her so she will need time to adjust.

Hope this helps.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:28 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I also disagree with restricting liquids for the sake of potty training. If you are thirsty you are thirsty and no one should be deprived water just so they don't pee in the night. My son is a HEAVY wetter and he does fine getting up and going in the morning..he just has giant wees. Sometimes he will go twice in the night also. I think it comes down to whether a child is ready or able. If my son wets the bed on hte odd occasion it is no big deal (although strangely he has been doing awesomely)...just like if he has an accident during the day. It's ok and it isn't a major thing to clean up.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:30 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Give the child a few pieces of cinnamon bark to chew on throughout the day.
    Prepare a cup of cornsilktea by adding 10-15 drops corn silk extract to a cup of boiled water. Stir, let cool and have child slowly sip the tea right before bedtime.
    Tie a towel around the child's pelvis, making sure the knot is in front. This teaches the child to sleep on his/her back which seems to lessen bedwetting urges.
    Starting with the first urine of the day, have her start and stop urinating as many times as possible until she has finished. If you make it into a game, counting the number of starts and stops, she might look forward to breaking her own record each time. it important to not make the child feel inadequate if she finds it difficult to do this.
    Understand that it is hard for children to control their bladders at this age and be patient. GL
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:07 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• You are going to think this is CRAZY- but it works, stop liquids at a certain time 2 hours before your childs bed time. So, if they are usually in bed by 9oclock cut off time is 7pm. That is their last drink out water. make your child go to the potty right before bedtime,and then put her to sleep, then right before you go to bed- which I'm assuming is a little later than her bedtime, wake your child to use the potty again. Even if you have to carry her and do the zombie thing:), put a little night light in the bathroom and tell your child if she has to go to wake you up or she can get to the potty by herself and that the night light will be here and on for her. Another thing is pure HONEY. this was a "wive's tale that worked for my bed wetters like a charm! Good luck!
    calatres

Answer by calatres at 7:08 PM on Sep. 15, 2010

• Do you understand that bed wetting is a sign of abuse? Being molested and whatnot. I'm sorry to bring this up at such a sensitive time in your life but I was looking at your previous questions and thought I would let you know. There was nothing wrong with her it was what her daddy was doing to her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Feb. 23, 2011