WHY DO PEOPLE SAY TO TAKE PRENANTEL VITAMINS BEFORE GETTING PREGNANT?

DOES IT HELP TO CONCEIVE?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• no. it just prepares your body.
    SummersMamma

Answer by SummersMamma at 10:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• So you have all the healthy nutrients from the beginning. Folic acid is extremely important from the moment you conceive. It protects your baby from certain birth defects.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Folic acid is the main reason. It decreases abnormalities.. Its just precautionary. I didn't take vitamins before I became pregnant with any of my kids and they were all born healthy BUT It is HIGHLY recommended and a smart thing to do when you plan a pregnancy.
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 10:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• the vitamins definitely prepare the body. For me that's enough to think it's "helping" me conceive, you know what I mean.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Prenatal vitamins have a lot of Folic Acid, which is important for neural tube development and for fighting anemia. It's important to take before you become pregnant because many women don't discover they are pregnant until they are at least a month along and it's during this first month that the neural tube develops.

Plus they improve your health in general and better health can only help your chances of becoming pregnant.
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 12:24 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• never heard of that but its great for you, keeps you healthy and makes everything grow
    brownsugarnp

Answer by brownsugarnp at 12:25 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• maybe to make your uterus crave the spermy quicker j/k nah I never took mine not even during pregnancy because i cant swallow pills and when I would crush them into powder they tasted horrifying so I would just take my ensure liquid drink.
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 12:42 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• They don't help you conceive at all. It is to prevent neural tube defects (spina bifida, hydrocephalus, etc.). A lack of folic acid during the earliest stages of pregnancies are a huge contributor to these problems and a simple prenatal vitamin can prevent these things from happening. If you are actively trying to conceive, for the baby's best interest, one should take a prenatal.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 4:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2008