Daycare Dilemma...I think I've had it...

The other day I was asked to pick up my child from daycare because she had diarrhea. I kept her home for 24 hours and she did well. She didn't have any diarrhea diapers, she ate well, slept well, no problems. I took her to daycare for two hours yesterday and when I picked her up, one of her teachers tells me she had "two bad diarrhea" diapers again. I am really irritated and frustrated with this because she was fine the whole time I had her home and in the TWO HOURS she was at daycare, she had "two bad diarrhea" diapers. How is this? I'm not saying it's not possible, but I'm just really frustrated given she was only there for two hours and they were "bad diarrhea" yet they didn't have to change her clothes? Ok maybe diarrhea can be so bad but you might not have to change clothes, but still. I don't know if I can even believe this. But I'm just really annoyed. What are your honest thoughts?

careph

Asked by careph at 8:49 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Having worked in a daycare for several years, I have seen it a lot. We had one child who stayed out for 3 or 4 days and was well for the last 2 days but when he came back to school he was sick again and we had to have the mom come pick him up. She took him to the doctor's and explained that there are some strands of viruses that re-attack your body.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:53 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Ask them to keep the diapers so you can see what they're talking about. Provide them w/ a gallon size plastic bag so they can lock in the stinkiness. There are sicknesses out there that can do this, may also be her nerves about being in daycare. Does she like it? Any other problems?
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Thank you very much for that. I don't like being "that mom that complains about everything", I just didn't understand. Thanks!
    careph

Comment by careph (original poster) at 8:57 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• She hasn't had any problems liking it. She does very well. I wonder if I really should do that ziploc idea?
    careph

Comment by careph (original poster) at 8:58 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I totally think you should do the ziploc bag thing! Tell them your doctor wants a stool sample, because it isn't happening at home,, I think maybe you should try a new place,,,it sounds like she is in a center, and perhaps because she is so young at at home daycare might be better,, IDK sounds kind of fishy if you ask me,, good luck momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:04 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I've been an in-home childcare provider for 12 years and I see it all the time. If you have doubts, initial her diapers, where only you can see and have them put her dirties in a ziploc bag...I use them for the same thing.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 9:09 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Is your dd eating anything different at the daycare? Sometimes just a different brand of o.j. or something might upset her tummy. Just a thought. I am a nurse in a daycare. Sometimes by "bad diarrhea" I have learned that our teachers mean "stinky", not necessarily a large amount.

Good luck.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It may be something that they are feeding her. My daughter would have diarrhea when she came home because they were feeding her the fruit in the can. She has never eaten that kind of fruit before I always gave her fresh fruit. So I had to change what she eats. You should check out their weekly menu to determine if they give her food that you don't and that coulde be the problem.
    mom42107

Answer by mom42107 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I like the zip lock idea too lol. My daughter doesn't go to daycare but my sister in law does babysit her, maybe she does get nervous or maybe they are feeding her something that is upsetting her stomach as well.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:00 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I agree with the two previous moms about feeding her something that upset her stomach.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 10:11 AM on Jul. 21, 2010