babies that sleep in swings?

is this safe?
Emma love her swing and falls alseep almost instantly. but when i mover her she wakes up and gets mad until i put her back in?
so is it safe ot let her take naps in her swing?

sandraberke

Asked by sandraberke at 9:11 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids always did.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:12 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It was the only way to get my dd to sleep some times. My mom said I slept in my swing almost every night for a bit.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:16 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I let my daughter sleep in her swing on occasion - she's 2 weeks old and doesn't have a firm schedule yet so sometimes she falls asleep in there when I have to put her down to play with my older one(s). But I have made sure that it's not the only place she sleeps because I don't want her to be dependent on it.
    I don't think it's unsafe to let them sleep in swings, but may not want to be a habit you will have to break later one unless it's already a prop she relies on to get to sleep.

Answer by missanc at 9:17 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• she just really loves to be in the "action" she likes background noise when she sleeps and even tho the kids are running around and screaming she just sleeps. i can get her to sleep in her crib but there has to be a T.V on or something when i do so.
    sandraberke

Comment by sandraberke (original poster) at 9:19 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I have friends who used the swing for months. It's great that you also can get her to sleep in the crib. Plenty of moms use those white noise machines for background. Another friends still uses that and her girls are 7and 4. You're doing fine. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:40 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Worked for my kids.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:46 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• babies tend to sleep better with movement and activity because biologically they expect to be carried constantly with their mother as she goes about her business. The motion of the swing simulates movement. the noise makes the baby feel safe as if she was being held with her mother.

My baby is asleep on my back right now. She fell asleep (and is in deep sleep) while I was cutting cardboard and making a racket outside...with cars going by. Babies who feel secure and safe can sleep anywhere, that's how they are built.

I recommend a wrap, sling, or mei tai. Don't just put her in the swing to nap. Encourage her to sleep anywhere and everywhere while you do what you need to do.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:05 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My DD slept in a swing (when she wasn't on me in the Moby Wrap) for all of her naps for at least the first 6 months. Some people will tell you that you shouldn't let your baby nap that way because it will become a "bad habit" and they will never learn to sleep w/o motion. That is total nonsense! My DD transitioned to a crib just fine when she was older.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Dr Weissbluth, who writes Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, says it is okay to let the child go to sleep in the swing but since motionless sleep is the most restful, try turning it off when they fall asleep. They may sleep for a while in the swing but the nap won't be as restorative as it would be without motion. That said, you do what works with colicky babies (but I would say to put the kabosh on swing sleeping altogether around 6-7 months).
    cmariemcd

Answer by cmariemcd at 4:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• yep thats the only thing that worked for my DD! we put a fan and a noise box in her room now it has a projection thing and it plays music so that has really helped! u can buy it at walmart if u want to try it! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2010