four month old with torticollis

my 4 month old has this. It is basically a tightening of the neck muscle that causes his head to tilt to one side. It also has caused a fullness on the one side of his head. It seems it can be corrected in this early stage with therapy in which he starts Monday, but as I read about it, it says it can cause other disabilities with learning. Does anyone have experience with this. My hope is once the pt starts it will get corrected and he won't suffer anything else because of it.

Roisin07

Asked by Roisin07 at 9:29 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• DD had it when she was around the same age. She had therapy once a week with the PT and we did stretching and exercises at home. We caught it early and it corrected itself within 5-6 months. DD just turned 5 and has no disabilities at all. Good Luck Mama!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 9:39 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about it causing him disabilities with learning. Since your son is so young it should be easily corrected and shouldn't cause any learning disabilities. Its the older babies that have it and that are left untreated for it can sometimes get sight and motor problems from it. My 12 month old son had it and just recently is now fully corrected. And he doesn't have any learning disabilities.
    jessran1218

Answer by jessran1218 at 10:11 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Did it cause her head to mishaped? The doctor says that DS's head isn't real severe and should go back to normal with PT, but if it doesn't reshape he'll have to wear a helmet:( I just can't believe all this. I just figured like with all babies, once he started to get crawling and such that it would all just fix itself!
    Roisin07

Comment by Roisin07 (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• PMing you
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2010