Has anyone ever gone through a period in your marriage where....

you and your spouse never talked of anything of any consequence? My husband and my conversations lately have consisted of nothing but
How was your day? Fine.
What are we doing this weekend? IDK
do you want anything from the store? NO
and those types of things. We never have any meaningful convos or talk about our son or us. I'm really starting to wonder if my mariage is over. Or is it normal for it to get like this?

wildwiccan83

Asked by wildwiccan83 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• One relationship doctor on tv said to spend ten minutes a day talking to a spouse about each other. She said it's what keeps the spark. She had a couple try it and they said it wasn't easy at first since they had gotten to the point where you are with your's but with work they managed to fix things. It can't hurt to try

Answer by admckenzie at 9:38 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I think it's normal, but then it's time to sit down together and remember why you married each other.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:32 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Yes, sometimes it's like this. I figure what can be new and different every day? If you feel it has gone on too long talk to him about it. Can you plan a day trip to a park or some sort of free attraction in your area? We used to go to an old fort and explore it when we had free Saturdays. Something to do and a chance to reconnect. Put your thinking cap on. Bestwishes!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:34 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It's quite normal. All marriages hit a lull, just try not to let it last too long. Do something worth talking about!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Right now, I really don't care if my DH ever spoke to me again!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:42 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• admckenzie- i tried to get him to do something like this where every day you asked your SO a question about them and told them your answer to the same question and they could be very personal or just mundane.
    The first day i actually got him to try it he asked me What my favorite color was...in my head i was thinking 8 years and you dont know but i didn't say that i just told him Emerald green and i asked him What was his favorite vacation spot as a child. He just said Williamsburg and that was it. The point of the game was for the questions to spark convo. Like him explaining why it was his favorite like i did when i answered the same question. He just makes no effort.
    wildwiccan83

Comment by wildwiccan83 (original poster) at 9:48 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• It's normal. Talk to him about it. Write down the things you want to talk about and initiate a conversation with him.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 9:48 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Cassandre -i've tried i just get this annoyed look from him for interupting his TV show. That is all he does from the time dinner is done till bed. I hate TV!
    wildwiccan83

Comment by wildwiccan83 (original poster) at 9:53 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• We have the same problem... He works 12-14 hours a day, so the only time we really talk is either on his way to work or on his way home from work. What am I supposed to ask him? "Honey, how was work?" "It was work" - and then he says he doesnt want to talk about work because he hates it and wants to leave it there and not bring it home. Mk... Right.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I'm going to try to talk to him again and if it doesnt work, Hes getting a choice. I am to young at 27 to be stuck in this kind of rut already. It wouldnt dif if we new everything about each other but i've come to realize my hubby knows very little about me. We went to a friends house for a couples night dinner and they had a 20 question game. The couple that had the most sorrect questions about each other won. The other 2 couples have been together half the time we have and we lost. My husband did not know my favorite color, season, movie, song or anything even that basic. I had all but 3 right on him.
    wildwiccan83

Comment by wildwiccan83 (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2010