Why do some people assume...

when they find out that another person is an atheist, it was some snap judgement, based on one bad event, and not thoroughly thought out? I know not everyone feels this way, but I've seen it on here, and experienced it in real life.

There is this gentleman in our complex who is Christian, and ever since he found out we are atheist, he bombards my husband with questions any time they see each other in the hall. It's as though he doesn't think my husband has ever considered these questions himself, and if only someone would ask, he could suddenly find god.

Well, I'm here to tell you that I, and probably the majority of atheist that I know, came to believe this way after a lifetime of asking questions and seeking answers. It was not a snap decision based on one event, but instead based upon every experience I've ever had. It's not that we have never asked the questions, it's just that we have reached a different conclusion.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 9:31 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ah, yes... Different conclusions.
    I'll have to dig to find the study, it was interesting. It was a neuro-study which concluded that Atheists are actually wired differently, our brain activity is radically different from believers of all faiths. Simply put, we to be critical thinkers, logical, analytical, and use reason to base most of our life choices (not strictly those pertaining to religion). Part of why those in the higher ranks tend to be Atheist/Agnostic.
    Some of us simply can not believe. If not for simple principals, then for biology.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:38 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i do not think of a snap thought if someone is atheist
    but i do think they may have a more scienctific mind and not as creative or obstract thinker
    more left brain and less right brain thinking

but i do not think "some event" happened to them
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:38 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Honestly, and I truly mean this in a nice, non snarky, snappy way - but I think it's for the same reason that some Athiests try so hard to convince Christians (or people of any other faith, for that matter), that there isn't a God. (I've encountered that here on Cafemom more than in "real life" though.)

It's because they either have so little imagination that they just can't possibly conceive that someone could possibly disagree with them, if 'they only understood", or that they are so arrogant that they just can't accept that other people can believe something different - and if they dare to do so, then it "must" mean they're stupid and need to be educated.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:41 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• cont

Sometimes, it's because they truly mean well, either because, depending on their belief, they want to free you from eternal damnation, or they want to free you from the bonds of an imaginary God.

If it's the last option here - where, regardless of whether they're trying to save you or disabuse you of your faith, if they mean well, you just smile sweetly and say "Thank you, I know you mean well and have our best interests at heart, but we're very happy with our beliefs, thanks. Then change the subject. Repeat as needed, and if, after a few times, they don't get the point, tell them frankly that as much as they hold their beliefs near and dear to THEIR heart, and want that belief respected - you also hold YOUR beliefs (because not believing in God is also a belief...) near and dear to your heart, and want them respected as well. Then walk away.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:44 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Because it is what they are taught. I hear it alot too. I never truly believed, the church experience made you bitter, you'll go to hell for not believing, etc etc etc. I've learned to let it roll. Let them wallow in their ignorance it's wayyy easier than trying to explain your position.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:40 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• hey obbydobbie, cool there is a study like that, thought it was just my thinking, and guessing
    i am not too far off with my assumption then

then can i come to the conculsion then that there are less poets, artists or entertainers who are atheists??
    wonder if there is a study of careers picked by people who have a faith compared to people who have none??
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:43 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• if the neighbor bothers you so much, avoid him. don't entertain him with your time. and as much as you can boldly, confidently speak you mind here on CM, do it in person. believe me, he'll get the idea, and i'd wager he'd never bother your or your dh again.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:58 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• This fellow probably doesn't realize he can spread his testimony much farther and faster by NOT being the jerk neighbor who takes it upon himself to 'save' everyone around him. I pity folks like that, honestly. In his mind, you and your husband are worth saving from what he believes will be an eternity of torment. Maybe if you look at it that way, you won't be quite as annoyed as you deserve to be at him. The last thing you want to do is get into a debate with him over his beliefs. That is a never ending spiral of doom.

If you don't want to have those conversations, and you can't avoid him, then be direct and tell him you won't engage in them with him at all. When he starts, walk away. Hopefully he'll get the message.

I don't know WHY so many Christians want to beat others over the head with their Bible-speak. I am Christian and even I dislike that approach to life. Jesus didn't use it, why should we?

Good luck!
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 9:43 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• the church experience made you bitter, you'll go to hell for not believing, etc etc etc...................

this has affected me, past life, when growing up was brought up Catholic, now i joke that i am a recovering catholic
    some Catholics laugh at this, some are offended, i do not say much after i offended a couple of people
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:57 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Many people have not come their beliefs based on a snap decision, whatever those beliefs might be.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:44 AM on Jul. 21, 2010