Marijuana users are less likey to go to the ER, even less than folks who don't smoke it. Thoughts???

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/07/20/marijuana-use-seldom-associated-with-emergency-room-visits-first-ever-national-study-says/#comments

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i used to smoke when i was younger an before i had my son. . wat i noticed when i smoked was that i was more aware of my surroundings and paid attention better than i did when i was sober. . its funny that alot of ppl wanna give pot a bad name. yes there may be a few cases where something bad has happened while the person has been stoned. but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will do something horrible. . i have a friend whose mom smoked all the time while pregnant wit her. . she graduated in the 5% of our class of over 300. . she had a 4.0 gpa. . im not saying that all ppl should give it a try cuz it isn't the same effect for everyone. . but wat i do want to let everyone kno is that u shouldn't knock something if u haven't tried it first hand.
    chiachick2005

Answer by chiachick2005 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• One problem with this study, it's not very accurate:

Self-reported marijuana use in the previous seven days was associated … with a substantially decreased risk of injury.”

What about those who chose not to report usage?   Anytime you base a study on self-reporting you will find people reporting what THEY want you to know, not what actual use. 

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:49 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• I am guessing that if they are high that they don't feel as much pain. So they aren't aware of problems that would send non-high people to the ER.

Answer by Bmat at 9:47 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Yeah I have a thought.... they're so stoned out o ftheir minds they don't realize they're in pain? Or they're too paranoid to go for the fear of being caught doing drugs?

Both of those were the case with my ex.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:47 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Because they are too stones to give a damn! lol

I have no clue why its illegal...Drunks are more dangerous , IMO..than any stoner I ever knew

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:47 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Because they are numb and stoned. How hurt can you get sitting around and smoking pot? What, is your finger broken from playing Xbox all stoned up or something? Someone choke during the munchies?

Get real...

Blog...hahahaha
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 9:52 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• "But, for some reason, all those coke, meth & alcohol addics for some reason chose to report???"

You completely missed my point. In ALL those cases, you get an inaccurate view as to what people are actually doing. They entire study is inaccurate, because self-reporting is inaccurate.

I spent years working in chemical dependency hospitals. Even people who voluntarily admit themselves lie about how much, how often, which drugs they use, etc. Some over-report, some under-report. Self-reporting is NEVER, NEVER accurate.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:26 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• OP, I'm not disputing your beliefs, all I said is THIS PARTICULAR STUDY IS INACCURATE BECAUSE SELF-REPORTING IS INACCURATE. Since you have work in a lab for decades, you obviously know the protocol for accurate, unbiased studies.

If and when you have a more accurate study, please feel free to provide a link.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:57 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• i agree id rather deal with some one stoned then on crack/coke/heroin/booze
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 9:48 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• "Pot is not a drug it is a naturally growing weed. "

So is nightshade, but would YOU ingest it? Poisonous mushrooms are naturally growing too, it doesn't make them harmless.

I'm okay with legalizing pot, but it's still an intoxicant. Don't whitewash it.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 11:31 AM on Jul. 21, 2010