will some one bring back my good child!!!

what happened to my 19 almost 20 month old.. she is NEVER happy always crabby everything is NO.. and hits/pinches/ throws things tantrums 24/7 its taking a toll on mommy! why she being so horrid lately is it terrible two's already??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like you have entered the wonderful wonderful world of the terrible 2's. Welcome to the most frustrating, exciting and fun time of your child's life. Strap in cause it's gonna be a rough ride. Now, on a more serious note, yes that is what it sounds like and now is the time for you to start putting your foot down. When she throw a temper tantrum, place her someplace where she wont hurt herself, and let her go. I found with my kids, if I ignored the behavior, especially a temper tanrum, the quickly figured out mom wasn't playing their game. Is she talking? If she is just starting to talk, could be she is having trouble expressing herself. Asking her to use big girl words when she wants something. Hitting and throwing, stand firm that that is not acceptable in your home. Biting? I bit my son after he bit another child, never happened again.

Hang in there. This is just one of the many rollercoasters you will ride.

ZachnKenzisMom

Answer by ZachnKenzisMom at 10:09 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• That whole terrible two thing is a lie...it starts WAY before the age of two...and from what I hear it isn't over until they hit 20yrs old. lol
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 10:10 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• She is starting to assert herself. It's not about being crabby and what not it's about her testing limits to see where they are and wanting to be independent. Normal part of development. Time to stand firm on the rules you have in place.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:13 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My son is beginning to get there as well. There are some really great books and articles on these things. Two, hmm, wanting freedom. I have heard offer as many choices as possible that still get your desired result. This allows them to have POWER, which is what they are craving: Power in their own lives.
    You want them to go inside. Instead of asking "do you want to go inside" say "would you like to hold my hand and walk inside or would you like to go by yourself?" this is just an example. Another one I like is when you want them to hold your hand you say "would you like to hold MY hand or do you want me to hold YOUR hand" They have the power to control what happens, and you still get the desired result. For biting, my opinion is to NEVER BITE A CHILD. To me this is very similiar to hitting a child to make them not hit. Children this young can not comprehend the concept of empathy. (Google the psychological capabilites of 2)
    kristen_renee3

Answer by kristen_renee3 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• We are there, too. I've read it's that period from 18 months old to two and a half where kids are developing a lot of physical skills, but don't have the language and coping skills to match. And, as pp said, it's about testing the limits of control.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 2:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2010