Is this neglect? I am so angry with his mother!!!

When we picked up my SO's son today (we have him over the next two days) he was coughing so violently that it was causing himself to vomit and he looked as if he had not slept in days. He is four and autistic so he cannot verbalize any discomfort. After giving him some cough syrup and getting little relief we called his mom to ask how long he has been coughing like this. She said about three days and she did not give him any medication or take him to the Dr. Well we took him to the ER where we found out that he has bronchitis that was lowering his oxygen level. He now has a nebulizer at home to open up his airway.

Is it neglect that she did not treat his sickness at all???

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 10:46 PM on Oct. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• I don't think it's enough to get him like taken away from her, she could have thought that it was just a cold. It's bad parenting, but I wouldn't call it neglect.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:48 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• i think so. i would have at least given him motrin, thinking it was a cold or something. it's called common sense!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• sometimes the body will fight the virus it self. most dr's will tell parents let the body heal it self maybe that what she was doing. But if that bad where it making him thow up she should of called the dr and see if something she can given to the child or at least take him get checked out make sure it alway be safe then sorry
    . I would say just bad judgement really Every parent makes mistakes or bad judgement no one is perfect but if she just refuse aknowleged he sick and don't care then I would say yeah she neglecting the child,
    coolmom2805

Answer by coolmom2805 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I wouldn't necessarily say it's neglect, but DEFINITELY BAD PARENTING!!!! What was she thinking not to @ least CALL THE DR. I agree w/ 2 of the other moms, it's COMMON SENSE and BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY. But the most important thing is that while he's w/ u and ur s/o, he's being taken care of. Also, I would suggest that your s/o tell is mother to stay on top of it and take him to his regular pediatrician for a follow-up. Good Luck!!!!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• If your SO was vomiting and coughing violently, I'm sure she would have taken herself to the Doctor or at least would have taken medication. So yes, I think it was neglect or bad parenting.

elisan

Answer by elisan at 11:50 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I don't think that it reaches the burden of proof for neglect, but definitely is bad parenting.
    fmchavez

Answer by fmchavez at 12:22 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• You dont HAVE to give medications for everything, but i definitely think she should have taken him to the doctor and found out WHAT WAS WRONG WITH HIM, and then gone from there, but she didnt even take that step.. i think its VERY bad parenting.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:10 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Its not neglect but, I just took my daughter to the ER for the same thing and I let it go for about 3 days to see if it would go away on its own, the biggest reason I took my daughter to the ER was to make sure her oxygen was not low. I don't push meds or doctor visits until I see it will not go away. Just hold on to the info the ER gave you and one day it may go far enough for it to go to court. Low oxygen levels is a bad thing and it could irreparable damage to him if left for too long.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:48 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• A few things. She probably didn't realize how bad it was, Didn't take care of him from the beginning so the son got worse. She lacks some common sense. :(
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 11:17 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Couple of questions first...... Did she tell you that he had been sick when you picked him up? Did she indicate that she had been trying to deal with it in ANY way? Is it possible that she was waiting to see if he would be okay or not? I know the first day of sickness in a kid, the symptoms aren't full blown and it's hard to know what you're dealing with or if they will need a doctor or not (unless it's something so severe that it can't possibly be waited on) IF the answers to these questions is No she didn't tell you, No she didn't indicate, and NO she didn't monitor then I'm going to say that YEP, it's neglect. And I'd document it it... everything you just told us, the hospital bill, everything ; because one day, if this continues she might get the opportunity to answer to the court as to why she would allow a disabled child suffer without the benefit of medical care or proper parenting.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:45 AM on Oct. 2, 2008