What would you make of this?

Everytime I drop my daughter of at daycare she always cries when a paticular teacher is there. The minute she sees her she walks back to me and refuse to go to class. Could she be doing something bad to her? I'm trying not to jump to conclusion but it disturbing.

Cassandre

Asked by Cassandre at 10:06 AM on Jul. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Your child and the teacher may just not be a good fit. I used to be a teacher and a Director of a childcare center. Sometimes personalities just don't fit. my first year of teaching I had four year old that did the same thing and it had nothing to do with what I was or wasn't doing it just had to do with our personalities. I would observe the teacher but don't jump to conclusions, if she has chosen to do childcare chances are she's not there to hurt your child.
    KristeenieB

Answer by KristeenieB at 11:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2010

• That is a tough one. Maybe try hanging out when you pick her up for a little to see how she interacts with the kids and if it is different than the other teachers? It may just be that she doesnt prefer her and has a favorite teacher that she has grown more attached to and feels more comfortable with.
    kristen_renee3

Answer by kristen_renee3 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• My youngest daughter did this with a teacher also and now that she is not in her class she is fine. She never had a problem with school until that teacher got there and only had one with THAT teacher. I think she WAS doing something but I can't proove anything because my poor baby couldn't speak to explain to me what was going on (speech delay due to deafness - fixed with surgery! Yay!).

I would watch out. Is it a daycare where you could see if they have the nanny cams? Does she have an older sibling who may have some insight?
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:09 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Wow, sounds as if you need to "pop in" and see what's up...Kids are very observant and sounds like somethings going on. I'd also talk to the daycare owner and express your concerns and see if there has been any other mom's saying the same thing. I would not tolerate that.....Then go from there, you may need to move her elsewhere.
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 10:16 AM on Jul. 21, 2010

• Also one thing I did to that teacher was walk in th edaycare quietly and go stand by the door to see how she was treating my little girl. I always seemed to get there either after she was gone or when the teacher was doing something else except for one day. She had my TWO year old sitting by herself on a couch and was standing at the door speaking very rudely to her telling her to put her shoes on and tie them..... ummm, my FOUr year old can't tie her shoes thank you very much!

So I shoved past her and told my daughter, "That's okay hunny, MOMMY will help you tie your shoes since you are TWO years old and don't even KNOW how to tie shoes yet. I didn't have a friggin Einstein like the teacher must have." She huffed and puffed and walked away. Then when she cam eback down the hallway I told her she needed to watch her attitude towards my daughter because she never knew when I could walk in on her.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:12 AM on Jul. 21, 2010